We all know that moodle is pretty full featured and can do some reporting and grading (& has a fairly flexible new gradebook too).
But I am not sure if it can do anything more than what I can see on the surface.
Here is what I really want to be able to do:
1. can i set an arbitrary formula (with if/or/and ... and other conditionals, plus the usual arithmetic stuff) to calculate a % grade?
2. can i set a letter grade as well (& according to a scale that i define)?
3. when a course is finished, are the grades locked?
1. can a student see their grade in a course, in detail (i.e., to see the components of their progress to date, or of their final grade in a completed module)?
2. can a student see all of their grades for all of their course?
3. can an administrator see all the grades for the students in a particular course?
4. can an administrator print a student transcript of all their module results to date?
I hope these questions are of interest to others as well...
Thanks to all for any help you can give.
This won't answer all your questions, but is useful all the same -
Hi Frank. Assuming you use 1.9...
Hope that helps
- Yes, you can use a basic set of formula calculations, in Excel format (not sure about conditionals, what do you mean?). Turn on editing in the gradebook and use the calculator icons at the top of the totals columns. This only works for category or course totals, although you can put a grade item into its own category if you need to.
- Yes, go to 'Letters' from the dropdown on the grader report to set the boundaries, then edit the individual item (edit categories and items, then click the small blue icon by the item you want to change) and set 'grade display type' to 'letter'.
- Yes, if you want. You can lock any grades you like by turning editing on and using the little padlock icons for individual grades, all grades for one item, all grades for one category, or for the entire course. Make sure you have 'show locks' enabled or you won't see the padlocks.
- Yes, check the user report page. They will see this when they click on the 'grades' link in the course admin block. They will see individual items, category totals and courses total, but will not see any grades you have hidden
- Yes, with the option for you to show/hide individual grades or whole categories.
- Yes, even hidden ones.
- what do you mean by 'module'? If you mean 'course', then the admin can go to the overview report to get a table of all of the course totals (only the final overall grade) for each of their courses. Or, if you mean modules within a course, the admin or the user can go to the user report to see/print a table with all of the grades for that particular course's graded items. Currently there's no way to amalgamate all of the graded items from all the courses into one huge list, but someone may be writing as report plugin to do this. I think there was some talk about this being possible using metacourses, but can't remember where.
Hope that helps