Letter Grades

Letter Grades

by Dale Quattrin -
Number of replies: 7
Maybe I am looking in the wrong places or am just being dense but is there any way to set up the various assignment (and other gradeable modules) grades so the teacher options are letter grades (A,A-,B+, etc.) instead of the numeric values? The letter grades can equal some number value in the background (i.e., A = 95, A- = 92, etc.) but only the letter grades are visible to the teacher and the students. The only info I am finding has to do with a letter grade for the class total in Gradebook.

We are using version 1.8 but will be upgrading to 1.9 in a few weeks.

Any help in sending me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dale Quattrin

Re: Letter Grades

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Do you mean assigning letters instead of the default 'out of a hundred'? In which case you need to  look at 'scales'. Is this helpful? http://docs.moodle.org/en/Scales
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dale Quattrin -
Yes, this is what I was looking for. I was doing a search using more specific terms(i.e., letter grades) and not finding the right spot. Thanks a lot.

So, am I right when saying that there is not way to correlate the custom scale in a way that can be automatically incorporated into the calculated course grade?

Again, thanks for your help?

by Dale Quattrin -
As I was looking through version 1.9 and ran across the Grade>Letters, I was wondering why this this seems to only be able to be applied to total course grade calculations. Why can't this system (with associated percentage values) be applied at the assignment level?

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Dale

You can get the associated Letter to display for the assignment. Go to the 'Categories & Items' view of in the Gradebook and edit the Assignment and select 'Letter' from the Grade display type drop down. When the teacher is grading the assignment he/she can still add the xx/100 total but the letter will display for the students and in the grade book for the teacher (unless editing is on).
edit grade item image from Moo docs.
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Ellen Marie Murphy -
We have an instructor that wants to assign letter grades, rather than points. Is it possible to do that? In other words, he does not want to choose # of points out of # of points, he wants to assign letter grades in the assignments themselves.

Thanks
In reply to Ellen Marie Murphy

by Itamar Tzadok -
You can create a custom scale of letter grades which the instructor can select as the grade type of the assignment in the assignment settings page. Note that scales should be defined from negative to positive, so the letter grade scale should be something like

F,E,...,B+,A,A+

The real values of this scale, for gradebook calculations, are 1-n, n is the number of items in the scale.

hth
smile