Developing Themes for Moodle

Developing Themes for Moodle

by Michael Schaten -
Number of replies: 4
hola!

I'm pretty new to moodle and especially in developing for this software-system. Due to the fact that reading the documentary-wiki did not help me pretty well I would like to get some information/input/hints from the community behind this IMHO great LCMS... ;)

So, here is my humble list of questions (so far ;) ):
I wonder if that is possible to realize because I want to achieve a complete table-free design.
If you know about a project or working-group which is trying to reach a table-free design as well, pls. state a link so I can get in touch with somebody.

Greets,
Michael
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Schaten

Re: Developing Themes for Moodle

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Did you see the themes-forum in the course "Using Moodle"?

• Is it possible to change/modify some "core-close" properties of moodle without the thread that updates will overwrite the modifications? In this particular question I think about a feature like the very popular "template-override"-system implemented in the CMS "Joomla! 1.5"
Yes, you can. You can add a $CFG variable in the config.php and add customized code in a separate folder structure. More information in the moodle/dist-conf.php file. In the theme folder you can create your own folders for your customized themes.
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Michael Schaten -
Hey, Ralf!

Thank you for your answer, especially the second part is a very useful information for me and I tryed it instantly.

The good news first: My first try to overwrite the standard-file was successfull. I chose the index.php in the root of moodle and copied it to my theme-folder and after giving the path-information in the config-file the modified template-output is generated and shown but... (and thats the bad news):
The original output is still generated and shown beneath my modified part...

Is there any "switch" I did not tickle correctly somewhere??

Thanks for answers in advance,
Michael
In reply to Michael Schaten

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Michael,

if you try to change a standrad theme you should create a copy of an existing theme as starting point in a new folder. Then change the files and settings you need. I didn't understand which index.php you have copied.

Ralf from Bonn
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Svar: Re: Developing Themes for Moodle

by Nils Eriksson -
I don't understand how you make use of the CFG variable. Ralf could you please explain more?

I have done some small changes in files like course/index.php and course/view.php, adding a headline here and deleting an icon there...

How would you do small hacks like this to make it as easy as possible to upgrade later?

Cheers,
Nils