Allow teachers to post in the main Forum

Allow teachers to post in the main Forum

by Marcelo Carlos dos Santos -
Number of replies: 1
I want to allow to all the teachers post topics in main forum (I mean the one that appears in front page), but they are only able to post on their own course. I've allowed all options in role teacher, but it didn't work. Only administrators can post in this forum. What I must do to set this permission to all teachers?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marcelo Carlos dos Santos

Re: Allow teachers to post in the main Forum

by John White -
Marcelo,

This is to do with your Front Page Roles. But these are a Pandora's Box you may not wish to open! For example, if you assign a front page 'teacher' role to a user he will be able to change your front page for you! There are ways of getting the right level of access, but may I suggest an alternative method...

Create a new course categogy and wind it up to the top of the category list.

Create a new course inside this category: 'The Teacher Forum' (if you choose to HIDE the course catagory make sure you UNHIDE this course). In the course settings, make sure that the course is available to students, that you set an enrolment key and don't hand that out, and also set 'do not allow guest users in'.

Give all teachers the 'Student' role in this course.

Switch on course edit, and HIDE the default News Forum (students can't add posts to this)

Create a new forum: 'The Teacher Forum'
give this a name & description, choose the type of forum you mean (general?), I suggest you don't force everyone to subscribe unless you intend to cause a barrage of emails! Most of the rest of the settings you can leave alone.

That should do it.

You may want to add a teacher's calendar block to the course, and certainly a 'courses' block so that this route isn't a dead-end.

May I also add that in my 'Front Page Settings' I have 'frontpage' set to None, none, none, none, pre-login, and 'frontpageloggedin' set to 'List of Courses', none, none, none. I also have the 'Default Front Page Role' set to None.

I have added the Login block to the front page as you would expect.

This combination means that outsiders don't see much, and ordinary students logged in won't see this forum course (because they have no rights to it).

Make sure you test your settings with a dummy student and a dummy teacher!

Cheers,

John