Exercise module add-on: Notice: the exercise module has been moved to contrib

Exercise module add-on: Notice: the exercise module has been moved to contrib

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
FYI:

From Moodle 2.0 (next year) you will no longer find the Exercise module installed by default as part of your CVS version of Moodle. You'll need to install it separately from contrib.

It will still be part of Moodle 1.9 and all earlier versions.

More details
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Exercise module add-on: Notice: the exercise module has been moved to contrib

by Alison Lynton -
Hiya

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I've started helping with the administration of a Moodle 1.8.1 system. Last night I tested upgrading it to 1.9.1. When I got the the modules section of the upgrade, it said that the Exercise module was "Standard (missing from disk)". When I checked the modules directory, it indeed seemed to be missing from the tarball I downloaded (The weekly stable tarball). Do you have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Ali
In reply to Alison Lynton

Re: Exercise module not found in 1.9 stable tar/zip files

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Ali - As best as I can tell, the Exercise module is still present in Moodle 1.9; however, as detailed in Martin's post above and the link for more info that he provided it will be moved to CONTRIB (i.e. not in Moodle core) for Moodle 2.0. So I think that it should be in the 1.9 tar and zip files but not the latest development release. So based on your post I went and looked and I was surprised to find that in fact the exercise directory is not in the tar or the zip for for 1.9 stable yet it appears to be in the 19stable branch. I have created an issue in the tracker at MDLSITE-479 to investigate what might be happening. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Re: Exercise module not found in 1.9 stable tar/zip files

by Anthony Borrow -
Ali - I stand corrected, the Exercise module was not intended to be included in Moodle 1.9. It was supposed to be removed from CVS; however, when 1.9 was released it was still in there. It has been removed from HEAD (2.0). To help minimize confusion about support for the Exercise module, the /mod/exercise folder is explicitly removed from the tar and zip files. So this is not an error in those files but rather an 'undocumented feature' (of course I never thought I would actually use that line wink) Let me know if you have any questions. Peace - Anthony

Re: Maintainer for Exercise module?

by Anthony Borrow -
As the exercise module goes from core to CONTRIB I was wondering if there was anyone who had already stepped forward to serve as the official maintainer of the code. If not, is anyone interested in volunteering to maintain the Exercise module? Peace - Anthony

Re: Exercise module add-on: Notice: the exercise module has been moved to contrib

by David Rogers -

I am busy with a test install of Moodle 2.0-RC1 as an up upgrade from 1.9.9. and I have the exercise module in my 1.9.9 setup. I copied the mod\exercise folder the old server to the new test server as the installation indicated that it was missing from the disk.  The upgrade run for a while and then halted saying that this module is not compatible with Moodle 2.0. How do I procede with the installation? Do I remove the mod\exercise folder from the new server? We do not use the module and I would be happy to go on without it.

DavidR