Anonymity and results

Anonymity and results

by Jérôme DEMIAUX -
Number of replies: 5
Hi all,

Anonymity in "Choice" is not really anonymous.
In a choice whose Privacy of results parameter is set to "Publish anonymous results...", teachers can always see the results with the names of students. What is disturbing.
Is there a way to hide this information ?

And with "Publish results" set to "Show... after the choice is closed", a student logging after the Choice is closed will only see the following message: Sorry, this activity closed on .... But not the results.

Jérôme.
Attachment parameters.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jérôme DEMIAUX

Re: Anonymity and results

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there,

the setting for anonymity only affects what the students should/will see - this is the expected behavior - MDL-5118 was requested a while back to add the ability for the information to be anonymous for teachers, - although if this was implemented, the teacher would still be able to update the choice settings and see the actual results.

This feature request isn't something that I plan to spend any time on, but I would be happy to review a patch if someone else did the work!

The other issue related to the choice closing sounds like a bug - can you please log a new issue in the Moodle Tracker, and I'll try to have a look at it on the weekend!

thanks,

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Carmen Gress -
Hi Dan

As a researcher in educational psychology, who likes to assess the effectiveness of teaching methods and technological supports, anonymity is very important. I would appreciate one more option to the drop down menu: "Show results to teacher after <date>." This would allow me to use the Choice option as a research consent option (which the Moodle documentation promotes but is not actually feasible) as I would not know who consented until after grades were submitted (i.e., I would pick a date for the above statement that was approximately 30 days after grades are submitted). At this time I must rely on paper and pencil forms for consent by students which I seal and open only after I have submitted my grades. It is important that students do not feel pressured to participate in research not opt out because they think I will grade them differently. So, my point is although the Moodle documentation says we can use Choice to obtain research consent, we can't because it doesn't meet university ethic's board requirements.

Thanks,

Carmen
In reply to Carmen Gress

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Carmen,

Feel free to log this as a feature request in the Moodle Tracker, but it's unlikely to be implemented unless someone is willing to spend some $$ getting a developer to do the work.

thanks,

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

Ang: Re: Anonymity and results

by Kasper Lauest -

I must say that I strongly agree with Jerome and Carmen here. I feel that student anonymity is a must, not only for research purposes, but for general use as well. For instance, I teach public science and would like for my students to vote on a number of political issues. If they find out that it's not really anonymous it will be pointless, since a lot of students will not want to reveal some of this information to the person who is grading them - even if I assure them that I won't look at their answers. On the other hand, I can't claim that its anonymous, because that would obviously be dishonest.

I'm no programmer, but is it really that hard to implement anonymity?

In reply to Kasper Lauest

Re: Ang: Re: Anonymity and results

by Dan Marsden -
Hi Kasper,

It wouldn't be hard to add - but it's not something that I feel strongly enough about to spend my own time working on it. If someone funded the work... well that's another story.

If this is something you would like to help fund you could contact your local Moodle Partner or contract another developer to do the work.