Text Selection Question Type

Text Selection Question Type

por Cory Gordon -
Número de respuestas: 15

Hi People!

Moodle V. 1.9 being used here.

Does anyone know if there's is a question type/module I can add that will allow a student to select text from a paragraph given to them and record it as their answer to a question?

I've looked, but can't seem to find anything!

Thanks,
Cory

Promedio de valuaciones (ratings): -
En respuesta a Cory Gordon

Re: Text Selection Question Type

por Itamar Tzadok -
Is it supposed to be marked automatically or manually? Essay question should do the work in the manual case. Short answer may fit the automatic case if the selection is short enough.

Itamar
En respuesta a Itamar Tzadok

por Cory Gordon -

Hi Itamar

Yes I would like it to be marked automatically.

I've thought of using the Short Answer question type, but would prefer one where the student is given a paragraph and the need to physically select the text. Similar to the image-click question type...but in this instance it will be text-click.

Have you seen or heard of anything like this before?

Cory

por Itamar Tzadok -
Does the student need to select a word or a paragraph from the text?

por Cory Gordon -
We that depends on the actual question. It may be just one word, or it may be a whole sentence. I'd like to have that sort of flexibility.

por Itamar Tzadok -
Well, the simplest way would be to ask the student to select the relevant text from the displayed paragraph and drag&drop it into the short answer box. Would that work for you?

por Cory Gordon -

I have issues with short answer though. In one question the student needs to supply three sections of a paragraph to pass the question. How can I do that when Short Answers require that atleast one of the answers be 100% of the test? Meaning that a student only has to supply one of the answers, and not the other two.

por Itamar Tzadok -
If you use CLOZE you can have three short answer boxes in the question one for each section of the paragraph. Each correct answer is still 100% but now it is out of 300% for the whole question.

por Tim Hunt -
Imagen de Core developers Imagen de Documentation writers Imagen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imagen de Peer reviewers Imagen de Plugin developers
You mean like the screenshot below? (That is a question from our OpenMark system) No one has made a question type like this for Moodle yet, but it would be nice.
Anexo Word-select-question.png
En respuesta a Tim Hunt

por Joseph Rézeau -
Imagen de Core developers Imagen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imagen de Plugin developers Imagen de Testers Imagen de Translators
This is similar to Michael Rottmeier Findit activity, based on the well-known Hot Potatoes suite of software.
Joseph
PS.- Yes, it would be nice to have this as a new question type in Moodle (2.0?).
PPS.- How come the new question types created last summer by Adrian Boyd are still not part of standard 2.0 distribution?
En respuesta a Joseph Rézeau

por Tim Hunt -
Imagen de Core developers Imagen de Documentation writers Imagen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imagen de Peer reviewers Imagen de Plugin developers
Because I am very busy. Also because, while a few people have started discussing them there, and by and large they seem to be working with few problems, I am still not convinced whether they need to go into core, or whether they just just live in contrib.
En respuesta a Tim Hunt

por Cory Gordon -

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies!

I can't use Hot Potato question types in an existing Quiz though can I? I have to add it as a seperate resource? I was hoping to have the "Select Text" question type as part of an existing Quiz.

Is there the posibility that this is going to be incorporated in V. 2?

/Cory

por Joseph Rézeau -
Imagen de Core developers Imagen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imagen de Plugin developers Imagen de Testers Imagen de Translators
Cory > Is there the posibility that this is going to be incorporated in V. 2?

I wouldn't count on it... unless you develop it yourself.wink

Joseph

En respuesta a Joseph Rézeau

por Cory Gordon -
Was I right about the HotPotato question types though? With them not being incorporated into Moodle's Grade Book, or is there a way I can get the results submitted into that?

por Joseph Rézeau -
Hot Potatoes activities can indeed be uploaded to a Moodle site and their results appear in the gradebook. They are not part of a moodle Quiz, but separate activities. See the relevant Hot Potatoes forum for getting or asking more info. Note that the Michael Rottmeier Findit activity I mentioned in my earlier post is not a standard HotPot activity, so will probably not make it to the gradebook.
Joseph