custom field

custom field

by Sean S -
Number of replies: 6
I would like to add a required field to the registration and user profile. Basically I want my students to include their student number. How do I go about doing this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sean S

Re: custom field

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Blinger Man Change the translation of the city field, or one of the other fields. The city field is the only spare one that is compulsary.
Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Sean S -
How and where would I do that? I need to change it in English as well as Korean.

I think adding custom fields would be a great new feature and is one of the reasons I chose my current blog software. Is it possible to submit feature requests here?
In reply to Sean S

by Tim Allen -

Blinger,

Submit feature requests in the bug tracker, which despite its name is not only for bugs. 

Also,

1. What Tim suggested is probably a good idea.  You can change the translation by going to Admin-->Language-->Compare and edit current language-->moodle.php and then look for the "city" string.  To edit this string via the browser you have to make sure that the moodle.php file has world write privileges.  Set the language before you visit the "compare and edit" page.
  2. Another option is to use a different authentication method.  Here is what I do:  I get all students to register via a dedicated registration form, which is linked to my moodle homepage ( I use the phpsurveyor package, but phpesp, which is loosely integrated into moodle, might also work).  This way I get to ask a whole lot of questions, anything I want.  Any answers I consider essential I make mandatory (for example the student ID number).  Then I use the "external database" method of authentication, so that when they login the first time certain fields, such as the ID number field, can be copied over into the moodle database too.
  3. I just noticed that there is a string in moodle.php called configidnumber which says: "This option specifies whether (a) Users are not be asked for an ID number at all, (b) Users are asked for an ID number but can leave it blank or (c) Users are asked for an ID Number and cannot leave it blank. If given the User's ID number is displayed in their Profile."  But I can't find where I can set this variable in the GUI.  Can anyone help me, this seems like the perfect answer to blinger's question! 

Tim.

by Andy Diament -
At my place, I make students log into moodle with their student number (which is also their network userid), therafter they can use their own name. That way, the student number at least appears in the database

If we move to external authentication, that will probably continue.

Any help? Andy D
In reply to Andy Diament

by Sean S -
I would still like to see a custom field. I"m not sure how having the student number in the database helps me to do grades if thier profile does not include that information.

by Andy Diament -
At my place, I make students log into moodle with their student number (which is also their network userid), therafter they can use their own name. That way, the student number at least appears in the database

If we move to external authentication, that will probably continue.

Any help? Andy D