Hiding Participants in People block

Hiding Participants in People block

by James Martland -
Number of replies: 6
We'd like to keep the Edit Profile link but hide the Participants loink in the People block.

Has anyone found a way to do this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Martland

Re: Hiding Participants in People block

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Why would you want to hide participants?

Not all questions are simple in these forums.  wink
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by James Martland -
Indeed! We are setting up a Moodle course as a taster or sample for full courses - we want people to be able to edit their profiles but not to be able to see who is or is not subscribed to this sample. Hope this makes sense!
In reply to James Martland

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I can't see a way to do that exactly (without crippling too much).  Even if the listings were hidden then every time someone posts, for example, their identity is revealed.

You could just create a single "demo" account for people to use and try out ...

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

This is a very old post, but I thought I would add something that might help.  Actually, I have a course that is set up for users that is sort of like their own "personal page".  (They go there to use the dialogue, post assignments, etc.--there are no discussions.)  So, to make it look more personal, I have hidden the participants block altogether.  If someone wants to edit their profile from that page, they can always click on their name (in the upper and lower right corners of the page).   

by Jeff Fila -

I know this is a very, very old topic but I'm intersted in the same question.

To answer Martin's last question - "Why would you want to hide participants?"

My courses are for corporate learning. We sell a product that is new in the industry and companies aren't ready to let their competitors know that they are investing in our products. They feel that if their competitors know, they won't have the "leg up" on the competition.

So I'd like to allow for people from company X and from company Y to be part of the same course, but I don't want any of them to know who else is in the course. This means that we won't be able to use the forums, but that is not an issue for us.

In reply to Jeff Fila

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Hi Jeff,

This would be a good question in the Using Moodle for Business course.  In the latest version of Moodle, the Participants link is the only thing in the People block, so just hide that block.  Then, set up the course with separate groups, giving each group their own enrollment key.  Then they won't "see" each other.