Confirm a document has been read?

Confirm a document has been read?

by Tony Chilvers -
Number of replies: 1
I ned to have a lsit of policy documents and have each user confirm that they have been read. Something like a Site Policy.
Any one know of an easy way to achieve this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tony Chilvers

Re: Confirm a document has been read?

by William Rice -

May I suggest you use a Lesson? You can make each page in the Lesson a policy document, or part of a document. End each page with a question that has three answers, like:

Choose one of the following:

1. I have read the document and want to continue to the next document [score 1 and jump to next page]

2. I have read the document and want to exit [score 1 and exit]

3. I have not read the document and want to exit [score 0 and exit]

If the policy documents are long, break them up into multiple lessons. Make a page for each section. The end of lesson page can have a "congratulations you've finished this document" message and a link to download the pdf version of the document.

And by default, when a student re-enters a Lesson, (s)he sees the last page or branch table that (s)he viewed. That's a nice feature to ensure continuity for your readers.

You can also use the Certificate module to send an email to someone when the student completes the lesson (reads the entire document). See the discussion here http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=95672. You can set up the Certificate module so that the student gets the certificate only after scoring 100% (reading all the sections). See the "Lesson dependency trick" here http://docs.moodle.org/en/Certificate_module#Lesson_dependency_trick_1. At this point you might be wondering, "How does displaying a certificate equal sending an email?" The answer is that you can set the Certificate module to email the certificate, to the student and the teacher. It's a workaround to get Moodle to send an email upon completion of a Lesson, but it gets the job done.

Hope this helps. I'd be interested to hear the solution you finally go with.