Confusion about "latest version" of modules & plugins

Confusion about "latest version" of modules & plugins

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

On the modules and plugins page, a 3rd-party developer can upload plugins, small hacks, etc. for moodle users to download and install. In the interface, a developer is given a choice of providing links for all released versions of Moodle plus HEAD, i.e. unreleased:

• Download latest:
  • Download for Moodle 1.6:
  • Download for Moodle 1.7:
  • Download for Moodle 1.8:
  • Download for Moodle 1.9:

I think the Download latest choice is prone to confusion. Recently I have seen a number of moodlers mentioning in the forums that they were using moodle 1.9 (the latest released version) and had downloaded and installed the latest version of the Questionnaire plugin, which they wrongly assumed to be most current version to go with the most current version of the plugin. Unfortunately at the moment the version of Questionnaire in HEAD (= latest) is undergoing massive changes and testing, and should not be used on a released version of moodle, but on a test site with Moodle HEAD/2.0...

Can anyone suggest a better wording to replace that misleading Download latest: choice?

Thanks,

Joseph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Confusion about "latest version" of modules & plugins

by Just H -
Hi Joseph

Good point.

How about Download development version and also drop it to the bottom of the list, I wonder how many people read it first and download without reading the entire list?

H
In reply to Just H

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Harry,

Thanks for your suggestions. "development version" sounds ok to me. Let's see what moodle HQ think about it. And a tooltip might be added, saying something like "do not use on a production site..." or some warning to that effect.

On the other hand, dropping this to the bottom of the list would not be logical from a chronological point of view.

Joseph

by Richard Enison -
JR,

Let me get this straight. From your own Original Post in this thread, it now says
  • Download latest:
  • Download for Moodle 1.6:
  • Download for Moodle 1.7:
  • Download for Moodle 1.8:
  • Download for Moodle 1.9:
and the one at the top applies to "a test site with Moodle HEAD/2.0". And you don't think it would be logical to put it at the bottom, after 1.9, from a chronological point of view? Why on Earth not???

I mean, does 2.0 come after 1.9, or before 1.6?

RLE

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The original idea was to cover those things where no version was given. A lot of those entries are not maintained that well, you see, and many are hacks with just one URL. Many times modules work on lots of versions.

But I agree it's a problem and "Download Development version" is probably better.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Marc Grober -
Would this be a "Make it so, Number One" kind of thing as in a quick change to the module template.....? I think the diff between latest download and latest development code is pretty significant..... Maybe a custom tag where a poster could put "latest stable code (any version)"?

I have a question though... why have the download zip link for latest dev code when anyone doing dev work is doing the download via cvs....??