How to duplicate Book into other course?

How to duplicate Book into other course?

by Jeffrey Hong -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

Currently, I have a Book Module in one of my course. I am trying to use the same Book Module for my other courses. Is there an easy way of performing the task other than copy/paste the pages? Cheers!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeffrey Hong

Re: How to duplicate Book into other course?

by Debora Weber-Wulff -
Just backup the course - deselecting everything and then selecting just the book. This will put a zip file in your backup folder. Download this to your computer, switch to the other course and then upload it there and unpack it.

This is one of the big problems with Moodle - you have to have multiple copies of materials if you use them in different courses. And if you make a change in one, then you have to change all the others.

But at least it works!
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Debora Weber-Wulff

by Mark Jenkins -
Hi Deborah,

I attended the North West Moodle Users Group meeting today (in Warrington, England ) - one of the things demonstrated there was MR CUTE a repository tool for moodle - this allows resources to be uploaded to the repository and deployed to courses from there. This means that not only can resources be shared and searched by keyword but the same learning object can be used in mulitple courses - change the original in the repository and they all change.

Regards
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Debora Weber-Wulff

by Kathy Morello -

I have done that and now have the unzipped file in the files part of the new course but do not know how to make the book available for students to view.  Can you give me directions on that?  Thanks for any help you can offer.  I am using 1.8.

Thanks

In reply to Jeffrey Hong

by Jörg Weißenhorner -
Why don´t you just use the "import" feature... it´s right below the backup and restore elements in the menu.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jörg Weißenhorner

by Cheryl Sawyer -
I tried this. I went to the new class and then chose to import and followed the prompts to the old class. It was really easy and quick. The best tip yet!!
In reply to Jörg Weißenhorner

by Susie ORiley -

I have tried importing the book as well as restore (after succesfully backing up) a book, and both times it has failed with a page not found error.

I stupidly created a book in the wrong course, and rather than reimporting all the files (there are a lot of images) I just wanted to move it to copy it to the new course.

Any ideas ?. This book took me ages to create (from a PDF) so I could do with a quick and easy solution.

Thanks in advance.

In reply to Jeffrey Hong

by Tim Duruz -
What I am trying is setting up a "SHELL" course with the common item (a book). Then in each 'course', I put in a link to that resource. In this way, I only have the ONE book to update.

The only problem I have is keeping out teachers etc. Theoretically, since the link opens the book in a separate window, the students never go INTO that course, just into the book. I made the SHELL "not available to students", am have to test this.

While the MrCute repository is indeed one solution, we are using Alfresco. I am not sure how to copy a mutiple-chapter book to that repository and make it available. I could try to code the book in a text/html file, but am not sure how the file would be structured.