Latest version 1.9

Latest version 1.9

by Chardelle Busch -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers
I've just updated the certificate module for 1.9. The latest version number is:

I've added an intro text option. And some bug fixes.

It's recommended you upgrade.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chardelle Busch

Re: Latest version 1.9

by Chad Outten -
Picture of Testers
Thanks for your work on this ever-improving extension, Chardelle!

I can confirm the latest Certificate module works nicely in 1.9 with the Site-Wide Reporting & Verification blocks.

I've got one query. I know the module reasonably well, so this might be an oversight on my part or a suggestion for future improvement?!..

Is it possible to generate a certificate that is specifically titled by a given topic section or activity and NOT titled by the course name?

Example:

Course 101 has 8 units & each unit has a quiz activity. The plan is to use the 'Activity Locking' function to uniquely associate each of the 8 quizzes with a respective certificate, 8 in total. So, at the end of each unit, the student does a revision quiz & if successfully completed (lets say 100%) they can print off the relevant certificate that reads something like: 'Joe Bloggs has successfully completed Unit 1'...

Cheers,
Chad
In reply to Chad Outten

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Sure Chad,

Do some experimenting with your certificate type certificate.php file.

Look at the code that gets the mod grade--it prints the name of the mod, a colon, then the grade. E.g.:
$grade = $modinfo->name.' '.$strgrade.': '.$modinfo->points;

That then gets printed on the certificate with this line:
cert_printtext(170, 420, 'C', 'Times', '', 10, utf8_decode($grade));

The tile gets printed with this line:
cert_printtext(170, 125, 'C', 'Helvetica', 'B', 30, utf8_decode(get_string('titlelandscape', 'certificate')));

You could create a type where you choose to print the mod grade points. Change that line to: $grade = $modinfo->name;

Then print the $grade in place of the title.

by Chad Outten -
Picture of Testers
Thanks for the clear explanation, Chardelle. Will give that a try!

by Roberto Catte -

Hi everybody,
I have installed this useful module without any problem,
but the documentation was not clear for me and rather misleading.
After many attempts, I do it in this way:

1. Create a Certificate activity. But if you Hide it, then you see the message: "Sorry the certificate is not available for students"
  2. Create a lesson. We will call it "Certificate Qualification". This is the lesson that needs to be passed to get a certificate. We might add 5 questions to this lesson as a means to automatically determine that student qualifies for a certificate (Score 20 points for each correct answer, Maximum grade 100).
  3. Create another lesson. We will call it "Certificate Gateway". In lesson settings make it dependent upon the "Certificate Qualification". For example we might say a student must answer 80% of the questions correctly. We might add a true-false question to this lesson and jump end of lesson. Otherwise the error "Navigation first page not found" appears.
  4. Return in lesson "Certificate Qualification" setting, go to the link to activity setting and link it to "Certificate Gateway".
  5. Return in lesson "Certificate Gateway" setting, go to the link to activity setting and link it to "Certificate".
  6. In "Certificate" setting go to the link to activity setting and link it to "Certificate Qualification" with 80% grade.

When you login as student you can try to pass the Certificate Qualification Lesson with a score of 80% or higher. At the end, click on the Certificate Gateway Lesson button and then (last step) click on Get Certificate button.

Can anyone confirm me that this procedure is correct?
Many thanks in advance and sorry for my english... (I post from Italy)

In reply to Roberto Catte

by Clinton Randolph -

Roberto,

You solved my problem for me, Thanks!!!!  But, there is an easier way.

After you have created your course, add a final activity naming it however you want for them to print out the certificate. I chose "(Name of Course) Completion Certificate" In the settings, you can qualify the reciept of the certificate by a quiz score or a cummulative score on the whole course.  I tried it and it works.

Clint Randolph