How are Roles assigned during conversion?

How are Roles assigned during conversion?

by N Hansen -
Number of replies: 5
Looking at the stats for my Moodle site after upgradiing from 1.6.5 to 1.7.3, I see the following stats:

Courses: 20
Users: 2689
Role assignments: 1607
Teachers: 4

Now, some of those users have never enrolled in a course-only registered on my site. Is that why there is a discrepancy between the number of users and role assignments? Will those people be assigned a role automatically if they enroll in a course? Why weren't they automatically assigned a guest role at least?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to N Hansen

Re: How are Roles assigned during conversion?

by John Isner -
Registered users are assigned the role of "Authorized user." So you should have at least as many role assignments as you have accounts.
In reply to John Isner

by N Hansen -
No such "authorized user" role is predefined in 1.7.3. And after further investigation, the number of roles seems to correspond pretty closely to the number of students actually enrolled in courses. The ones without roles are not enrolled in any courses. I'm just wondering why those people were not assigned the role of guest.
In reply to N Hansen

by John Isner -
No such "authorized user" role is predefined in 1.7.3

Oops, you're right. That's a new role in 1.8 (and I should have said "Autenticated user")
In reply to John Isner

by N Hansen -
So when I upgrade to 1.8 will those people without roles be automatically assigned to authenticated users?