Gradebook

At work...
Extra credit in Gradebook 1.9

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me understand what I'm supposed to put in the Extra credit box, on the Grade item options, in order to set it to count as extra credit?

Is it binary (1 for yes, 0 for no)? Is it like a multiplicator factor (0,15 for 115% total grade, for instance)? What are the limits? Can anyone help me, please?

Picture of Helen Foster
Re: Extra credit in Gradebook 1.9
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
Hi Sónia,

Does the extra credit help file (copied below) explain things?

A value greater than 0 treats this grade item's grades as Extra credit during aggregation. The number is a factor by which the grade value will be multiplied before it is added to the sum of all grades, but the item itself will not be counted in the division. For example:

• Item 1 is graded 0-100 and its "Extra credit" value is set to 2
  • Item 2 is graded 0-100 and its "Extra credit" value is left at 0.0000
  • Item 3 is graded 0-100 and its "Extra credit" value is left at 0.0000
  • All 3 items belong to Category 1, which has "Mean of grades (with extra credits)" as its aggregation strategy
  • A student gets graded 20 on Item 1, 40 on Item 2 and 70 on Item 3
  • The student's total for Category 1 will be 95/100 since 20*2 + (40 + 70)/2 = 95

Picture of Joyce Aarsvold

Hi Helen,

I hope you can help me. I tried to follow your example above to set up an extra credit assignment, but I must be doing something wrong. We have Moodle 1.9 and here's what I did. I created a "Homework" category and set it to be "Mean of grades (with extra credit)". I then created Assignment 1 that was graded 0-10 points, 0.00 value for extra credit; Assignment 1 Extra Credit graded 0-5 and its Extra Credit value set to 1; Assignment 2 graded 0-10, with 0.00 extra credit; and finally Assignment 2 Extra Credit graded 0-5 and its extra credit value set to 1. If I give my student 8/10 for both regular assignments and no points for extra credit assignment, the final grade is 80, as expected. But if I give any point value to either of the extra credit assignments, the final grade is calculated at 100. Given your formula above, I would expect that if the student gets 8/10 on the regular assignments, and a 5 for each of the extra credit assignments, that the final grade would be 90. (5*1) + (5*1) + (8 +8)/2 = 18/20 or 90%. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your help.
Floyd Saner - Tail of the Dragon, U.S. 129, NC
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
Sonia,
I believe the extra credit option in Gradebook 1.9 does not work at this time. I recall earlier discussion about this and think it was added to the list of issues to be resolved.

We work around the problem by entering a formula in the category calculation, but it gets a bit messy. For example, in the case where a faculty member had three exams (w, e, a), each with three components (hands-on, written, extra credit) our calculation formula is :

= sum(sum(who, wob, wex)/1.0, sum(eho, eob, eex)/1.1, sum(aho, aob, aex)/1.0)/3.0

where who = exam w, hands-on part; wob = exam w, objective part; wex = exam w, extra credit part, etc. We also had to change the category maximum grade to 110.

It's a pain to work with because the faculty member always needs my assistance when he adds another exam.

Floyd Saner
Floyd Saner - Tail of the Dragon, U.S. 129, NC
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
Sonia,
This is an update to my prior response. It appears that extra credit works in the latest release, Moodle 1.9 + (Build: 20080417). The option may not work in earlier builds.

The category Aggregation needs to be Mean of Grades (with extra credit). Extra credit options must be created as separate assignments, e.g. to have extra credit for assignment 1, you need two assignments: Assignment1, and Assignment1ExtraCredit. Be certain both are placed in the category designated as aggregation Mean of Grades (with extra credit).

You then need to go to 'Edit Categories and Items' in Gradebook. Click the edit icon for the assignment you want to use as extra credit and place 1.0 in the extra credit box. The extra credit value added to the aggregation will be the extra credit score value times the number in the extra credit box.

I hope this helps.
Floyd Saner

At work...

Hi, Floyd!

Thank you very much for your answers. I'll update my gradebook version (I started by trying out Helen's instructions - Thank you, Helen! - and it didn't seem to work...) and try it again.

Thanks again!

Lane2007

Floyd,  Thanks for this info.  it's very useful.  I have another related question.  There is also an Extra Credit option in grade book Categories.  (The Help icon incorrectly links to information on Item Weight) 

Parent Category Extra Credit

Can you explain to me how this extra credit works?   What I'm looking for is the best ways for an instructor to provide extra credit if she is using Weighted Category grading.

Thanks,

Lane

Elena
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
Hi Lane,
You may take a look here, I think: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Grades_FAQ#Weights_and_extra_credits
Lane2007

Elena,  My situation is different.  I have many instructors who do weighted grading by caategory, with the assignments within each category of the same value.

Example:

Quiz category of 10 quizzes @ 10pts each    weighted at 40% of course grade

Lab category of 10 lab grades @ 10 pts each  weighted at 60% of course grade

This instructor wants to be able to have an extra credit item within the lab category worth up to 3% if they had perfect lab attendance.

I haven't been able to figure out a way to do this without affecting all students.

Any help you could provide would be very welcome.

Lane

Elena
Hi Lane,
Let's imagine you have Lab_extra item worth 3 points (3%) in your Lab category.
What is the aggregation method that you use for that category?
If it not SUM, then you should be able to check "extra credit" box for "Lab_extra".
This way, those who complete it will get extra points added to their category total. Those who do not, will not be affected.

If your installation allow grades over 100%, then instructors can also simply type extra points in the grader report. E.g. if you have Lab #10 at 10 pts, then one can click Turn Editing on, and type 13 for the student who got 3 extra points.
Lane2007

Thank you, Elena.  The aggregation method in my example for the Lab category is Mean.  But checking the box doesn't add the 3 points to anyone's score.  Also, when I include the extra credit item, all student's scores are slightly increased immediately, which is very weird.

I have emailed our Moodle admin to see if our installatin allows grades over 100%.  i don't think that it currently does.

I'll see what he says and come back here next week.

Thanks again,

Lane

Elena
Hi Lane,
I think we are talking about different things smile
Mean of gradesshould not have an Extra Credit checkboxes (at least I cannot see them in my install)

Screenshots of your Categories and Items and Grader report would help here.
Also, you can point what student, for example, has "incorerct" grade, and what would you prefer to see instead.