Problems running TortoiseCVS 1.10.6 with Vista Enterprise

Problems running TortoiseCVS 1.10.6 with Vista Enterprise

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Number of replies: 4
Dear all I'm having a problem running TortoiseCVS 1.10.6 (the latest version) on top of Windows Vista Enterprise version. When I do a cvs update I got error messages like:

cvs update: cannot remove question/questiontypes/calculated: Directory not empty
cvs update: cannot remove mod/assignment/type/program: Directory not empty
cvs update: cannot remove lang/th/help: Directory not empty
Error, CVS operation failed.

I did some "googling" but couldn't find a solution for this, so I have also reported this issue to the TortoiseCVS bug tracker. If anyone know of a solution for this could you please let me know? Thanks! smile

By the way I have disabled the Vista "UAC (User Account Control)"..

http://www.tortoisecvs.org/stablechangelog.shtml
Attachment vista_TortoiseCVS_cvs_update_error.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

Re: Problems running TortoiseCVS 1.10.6 with Vista Enterprise

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Wen,

Some of the earlier versions of TortoiseCVS are more stable under vista, but vista isn't officially supported yet (as the pop-up message says during install of the latest version)

I can't remember which version I got running the best (and I've moved to Ubuntu now on my main desktop)

But - the "most stable" version that I managed to get working crashes file explorer probably once every 60min which is a real pain if you're trying to move/copy files/write a cd or dvd!

Id suggest installing eclipse on your desktop and using the built in cvs stuff to see if that works better for you under vista than tortoise...

....or do what I've done, and install Ubuntu.....

smile

Dan
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Alan Barrett -

Can't really help you with your problem... But I have the most recent TorttoiseCVS working with Vista Home Premium no problem.

I used ssh: internal to TortoiseCVS (not extsmile because I am already using PuTTY for a different web site and I would have to set up a new PuTTY User and also Keys etc and it sounded too much trouble... But the Internal ssh: works well for me. I also had to change the sandbox settings to UNIX file endings and do all checkout selecting UNIX file endings, otherwise all files are checked out using PC line endings which creates trouble for my setup (e.g. Moodle .zip file contents all have UNIX file endings).

I once had a problem deleting a CVS folder on the PC when I did not have anything in the folder open, but Vista thought I did. I had to reboot. Maybe TortoiseCVS is having a similar problem (based on your error messages).

Alan.

In reply to Alan Barrett

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi Dan and Alan thanks for your info. Yes I found that true with my new desktop PC which came pre-installed with Vista Home Premium, no problem with TortoiseCVS. However TortoiseCVS behave differently with the Vista Enterprise edition, don't know why. sad

Thanks again! smile
In reply to Alan Barrett

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
ahh - that makes sense - I've only ever tested it on Vista Ultimate.

smile

Dan