Browser Capability block?

Browser Capability block?

by Dean Stringer -
Number of replies: 10
I'm sure this would have discussed or even developed in the past but I cant find any reference to it in the modules and plug-ins database. Some of our staff have been asking for a means for students to be able to tell if their browsers support the plug-ins required to display content types a teacher has uploaded to the course.
screenshot
I've knocked up a prototype block which uses JavaScript to check for plug-ins like Real, Quicktime, Flash, Java and Windows media player etc. It scans the "navigator.plugins." array in browsers that maintain info there, and writes out VBScript for recent IE versions which don't. At this stage its a "sniffing only" form of detection, it doesn't actually attempt to instantiate the objects (which would be a better indication of support) but may be a slightly more expensive operation, especially on a busy course page.

A screen-shot is attached, the demo I have running allows a teacher to customise which plug-ins are looked for giving them the opportunity to weed out those that would just be noise. Another idea is to check the files folder for the course and see what types are stored there, and maybe look through the linked resources for other types (based on extension) and pre-populate the plug-in detection list.

Has anyone else developed such a thing? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for completing the block?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dean Stringer

Re: Browser Capability block?

by Dean Stringer -
I didn't get many responses from the community re this functionality so have developed and tested the block and released it in the contrib area:
http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=1578

(note: the above link is currently waiting approval by the powers that be smile

Feel free to download and install it and provide any feedback to this discussion forum. Cross-browser support seems fine but will no doubt require maintenance over time. Implementation details are contained on the above contrib page.

by Matt Campbell -
This looks pretty cool and something I'd be interested in putting on the front page of my site.

A few suggestions - could the site administrator configure what is checked/displayed in the block? For example, if we didn't have any Real Player content and didn't want students to think they needed to install it, could we have an easy way to unselect this in the block config?

Maybe for all the plugins, but especially for those that aren't supported/installed in the browser, how about a link to the official download site? Once again, a way to make this easily configurable, in case the site administrator has them available locally, or if the site changes, etc.

I haven't checked it out yet, I'll try to get it onto a test install shortly and let you know if I have other thoughts on it.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Dean Stringer -
Hey Matt. Yes the administrator (actually, anyone with update permissions for the course) can configure whats displayed in the list of plug-ins. I think you're right about a link to the download for a plugin, thanx for the suggestion.

We look FWD to getting more feedback from you and others.

Dean Stringer
(Waikato University, NZ)

Browser Capability block - small enhancements

by Daniel Arndt Alves -
Hi all,

I recently make some small enhancements on this block (Browser Capability):

• Make languages files to easily implement translation of this block on other languages.
  • Support to en_UTF-8 language (retired from original block source code).
  • Support to pt_BR_UTF-8 language (translation of original block strings).
Now, anywhere can be translate this block to another languages for better support on Moodle.

I hope to be helping.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Gergely Rakoczi -
We (Vienna University of Technology) consider adding the "Browser Capability block" to TUWEL (our course management tool based on Moodle). Therefore we've tested your tool and find it totally useful.

However, we've faced one irregularity. We got different results in various browsers for the Java as well as Flash indication. This feature varies, although using same settings in each browser's properties panel.

Tested browsers were: Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 3.5, Opera 9.54 and Safari 4.0 (Windows version)

Before adding your block, we'd like to ask you, whether you've been reported similar problems or is there a patch (new version) coming fixing this problem?

Thank you in advance,

Gergely
(Vienna University of Technology - E-Learning Centre)
In reply to Gergely Rakoczi

by Chris Schembri Baldacchino -
Hi Gergely (and all),

Did you implement the Browser Capability Block in your University's moodle site? (I do believe it is https://tuwel.tuwien.ac.at/).

We, at University of Malta, are researching the possibility of adding such a feature to our VLE. Does anybody have some update info?

Thanks,
Chris

by Chad Wittman -
Where do you enable this browser checker? I placed the directory into the block directory, but cannot find anywhere to enable it.