Import of Frontpage from another Moodlesite

Import of Frontpage from another Moodlesite

by Gunilla Brattberg -
Number of replies: 5

Is it possible export a frontpage from one moodlesite and import to another moddlesite? It is easy to make a security zip-file of the frontpage, but when I want to import this file in another moodle application it seems possible to import the frontpage as a course among other courses but not as a real frontpage.

Regards,
Gunilla  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gunilla Brattberg

Re: Import of Frontpage from another Moodlesite

by John Isner -
You can restore a course backup file made on another site as the Front page course on your new site using Site administration -> Front page -> Front page restore. At least this is how you do it in Moodle 1.9. I can't remember if the Site administration menu was different in 1.7 and 1.8.
In reply to John Isner

Svar: Re: Import of Frontpage from another Moodlesite

by Gunilla Brattberg -

John,

Thank you for the answer. Yes, it is possible to restore the front page as a course - but the restored frontpage is hidden in a course among all the other courses in the middle section. I don´t know how to get all the files in the left and right columns, not the middle course section.

Gunilla

Re: Svar: Re: Import of Frontpage from another Moodlesite

by Paula Clough -

John,

When restoring, in the drop down menu on the about the 2nd or 3rd page into the restore process that asks whether you want to restore to a (1) new course or (2) an existing course, deleting first or (3) existing course adding data... which did you chose?

I chose #2 and it did copy over my old frontpage... There were a lot of users and blocks that weren't there before... but the course list is the same as it wouldn't download all the courses... I restored from the Frontpage restore menu. I have 1.84

It did include a sticky block that's through out the site and the random glossary entry block but I had to go back in and connect it to the glossary because the site has a different name.

Hope this helps.

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Paula Clough

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Import of Frontpage from another Moodlesite

by Gunilla Brattberg -

Hi Paula,

I have tried that too, existing course deleting first, but in the next step I find a list of my existing courses where I have to choose one of them. However, the front page is not on that list. Maybe it works if I have no other courses running.

Gunilla

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Import of Frontpage from another Moodlesite

by Jim Eckhardt -

I am having the same problem with 1.9, even though I am restoring from the admin menu cliking on "front page restore"   I never have the option to restore to the front page(course)..that is when the list of courses to restore comes up the front page is not in the listsad 

I am only given the option to restore the front page to other existing courses

Unless I am mistaken somehow in 1.9 we have lost the ablilty to restore the front page?   

I need this to update a dev box copy of the site for a training session early next week!

I have done this before in 1.8...the front page appeared on the list of course to restore to??? But not now after upgrade to 1.9

Anyone have an idea of whats happening??

Jim