Possible feature addition - Printable view

Possible feature addition - Printable view

by Loren Winfrey -
Number of replies: 6

I am not sure about the dificulty in adding this to the site, but haveing a pintable view link on the resourced will help me with a problem that students are complaining that the header is cut off, and the background prints.

What is the dificulty in adding this?

Loren

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Loren Winfrey

Re: Possible feature addition - Printable view

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This can be done (elegantly) using CSS. You can have different style sheets for different Media Types. This would require that Moodle be fully CSS'd (as it where), but this would I think be a better use of effort than just adding a print view.

by Paula Edmiston -
I'd like to figure out how to generate a printer-friendly version (by "printer-friendly" I mainly mean the fewest number of pages ... I"m running a little low on toner tonight) too. I've just been perusing the "Separate vs Connected Knowing" thread on the Teaching Online forum. It's fascinating but very long. My print preview showed 10 pages. I stepped down my browser font and got it down to 6 pages.

A printable format of a forum could omit stuff like "Display replies in nested form" options and the ratings options and the reply link. It could also omit the jump menu and search field at the top. It seems to me a printable view could be a new display out of the data file, just pulling these relevant fields.

I've tried to enter this and other suggestions at http://bugs.moodle.org but I've never been able to log on. When I select "Create an Account" I enter name and email but never get an email containing a password

At the bottom of the page is a login prompt that asks for a password. And I tried entering the email address I've used in the past when trying to crete an account and then clicking on the "email password" button but I never get any mail. Martin even wrote me once and told me to login putting a letter in front of a password and I tried that and got nowhere. I make an awful lot of mistakes. Maybe I messed it up somehow.

by Loren Winfrey -
I have mad a printable view page for the assignment module, and it seems to work fine with the html text versions. This was done using moodle ver. 1.2 dev.

To add this I modified "view.php" and used it to create a new file called "viewp.php". (I dodn't include my view.php because I did other modifications that may cause problems.

You will need to copy viewp.php into your mod/assignment folder and modify your view.php to add the link to it.

If you have questoins just ask.

I also did this for the html and text versions of the resource mod as well.

Loren Winfrey

by W Page -

Thank you!

Can This kind of link also be done to generate "PDF" files?

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Loren Winfrey -
I personally think it should be, there is a phppdf class out there but the programming is far too complex for my eyes. wide eyes

Loren

by W Page -

Hi!

In the "viewp.php" fille there is the following lines at the top of the file.

<?PHP  // $Id: view.php,v 1.18 2003/11/22 03:14:59 moodler Exp $

require_once("../Documents/Instructors/Loren%20Winfrey/daecc/config.php");
    require_once("../Documents/Instructors/Loren%20Winfrey/daecc/mod/assignment/lib.php");

optional_variable($id);    // Course Module ID
    optional_variable($a);    // Assignment ID

?>
<head>
<title>Designatecc.com</title></head>
<body>

The "require_once" lines seem to be hardcoded for your site.

• Will that make a difference as to how the code would work on another site?
  • If it does make a difference, how should I change the code?

Thanks for the script

WP1

modified from earlier post