Any Suggestion on Creating a Digital Drop Box

Any Suggestion on Creating a Digital Drop Box

by Bruce Frey -
Number of replies: 13
I would like to create a general purpose drop box where students can upload files to for various assignments or for special situations.

I experimented with the advanced uploading of assignments, however once the student uploads they then click submit for marking which then considers that assignment over and closed for the student.

Any thoughts?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bruce Frey

Re: Any Suggestion on Creating a Digital Drop Box

by Itamar Tzadok -
How about using a database?
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Bruce Frey -
Hello

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried this today but it allows everyone to see files uploaded. If I put it in group mode then this can cut down on who can see it but still others in predefined groups would be able to see uploaded files.
In reply to Bruce Frey

by Art Lader -

Hi, Bruce,

I do use the assignment module for this, but I create several upload a single file type assignments. That avoids the "submit for marking" problem. Not very elegant, but it is working for me.

I do have one dropbox where I just tell the students not to click on the send for marking button. Ugly, very ugly, but no problems yet.

-- Art

Attachment yikes.gif
In reply to Art Lader

by Bruce Frey -
Hello Art

Thanks for your thoughts. On the idea for students not to send for marking unfortunately Moodle doesn't seam to send the teacher an email unless the student checks send for grading.

I could create separate assignments but I was looking for a catch all way for students to independently send in misc. work.
In reply to Bruce Frey

by Mark Miller -
Don't know which version you're using; I've only used 1.8 and 1.9. Both offer the opportunity to set the "assignment" for accepting late assignments (gets you past any due date problems) and whether or not to accept late admissions. Only problem with that is the new file over-writes the old file. You'll have to move the uploaded files out on a fairly quick schedule.

Mark C. Miller
Indianapolis Indiana
In reply to Bruce Frey

by Angela Neff -

I agree that using advanced uploading of files and instructing students not to click "send for marking" is a good option. I am not sure whether the accept late submissions will over ride the send for marking. Have you tried that?  I have not used datbases yet and am curious how that can be used as a crop box. WOuld love to hear how people are using databases pedagogially. We use the glossary module as a web link database. But students cannot respond to eachothers postings like we can in Forums. But I love the searchable by keyword function and my students love the experience of creating a library of resources. They describe/summarize the information that can be found on each site when they post their links as well as add keywords.

Angela

In reply to Angela Neff

by Itamar Tzadok -
Students should be able to comment on entries if the Allow comments on entries: option in the glossary settings is set to Yes.

Added: Of course, this offers a style of responding to each other which resembles the one used in developers and other professional bulletin boards.
In reply to Angela Neff

by Itamar Tzadok -
I guess the main advantage of a database is that it allows for customized items. Currently I use databases as libraries or repositories of events (workshops) and reports in a site serving a group of teaching development graduate assistants. I use RSS to display or highlight selected information on the main page (that requires some javascript).

I will try something more pedagogical next year if I manage to get some relevant people to be somewhat experimental and implement some changes to the traditional assessment scheme. smile

In reply to Bruce Frey

by Lorin Toews -
I'm also looking for a general purpose dropbox, one which is not linked to an assignment in the gradebook. Has there been any progress on this since April/08?

It seems that the simplest solution would be to modify "Advanced uploading of files" to add a show/hide option for the Send for Marking button.

Lorin
In reply to Lorin Toews

by Markus Mostert -

To add to Lorin's post:

And if there's another button that would allow you to set the "Advanced uploading of files" - dropbox so that all students enrolled in a course can have read access to the files, that would make a really cool tool!

It would be like having a sub-folder in the folders area (which you have linked from the course front page with a "Display a directory" resource) to which all students in the course can publish (and read, but not edit), not only the teacher.

Markus

In reply to Markus Mostert

by Rob Byrd -
As an intermediate phase toward a Digital drop box, or as a separate feature, how hard would it be to allow instructors to download a zip file of all the student uploaded assignments?

In reply to Rob Byrd

by ben reynolds -
Rob,
You're looking for this patch. Be sure to read the whole thread!
In reply to Lorin Toews

by Paul Carnemolla -

I too am looking for the general purpose dropbox. I have tried using the Advanced Uploading of files but the students have pressed the Send for Marking and they are now locked out of further submissions.

Hopefully something the developers will consider on subsequent versions.

Paul