Localhost-to-localhost backup/restore image problem

Localhost-to-localhost backup/restore image problem

by Peter Poznyakov -
Number of replies: 3
Succesfully restored a course backup created in Windows Localhost Moodle v.1.8.4+ to Windows localhost Moodle v.1.9_last. The biggest problem was question database transfer. All OK: 1070 questions, 100+ categories, links to HTML Help (course recourse) work as it should be. Have done it twice and still have the only problem: images to question text. For the very first time it appearred once and that's it. For the first question editing, picture name is shown in line 'Image to display', but next time it says 'No images have been uploaded to your course yet'.
What does it mean and how to solve the problem?
What is the best way to show pictures in a question:
- 'Image to display' line, or
- 'Insert image'?
Any answer would be greatly appreciated.
Peter
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Peter Poznyakov

Re: Localhost-to-localhost backup/restore image problem

by Peter Poznyakov -
I did the same restore operation for hosted (SiteGround.com) Moodle v.1.9. Everything the same. The only problem is image show failure in questions. So my questions are the same.

by Peter Poznyakov -
After restoring the course Moodle cannot see the images in its file folder. I copied image files between course file folder, than uploaded them to the folder from my local PC - anyway, the system cannot see images, but able to link to HTML Help files in its course files folder!!? What the mistery!
But Moodle course questions are able to see image files and folders from site file folder (folder 1) even if you just rename the folders in data folder (I met it under different names: 'data', 'moodledata', 'uploaddata'). If you put image files (folders) in site file folder it does not mean that question starts to show picture, no way, but at least you can manually restore links to images.
But the only problem I think this is NOT solution anyway. Image files MUST be in their appropriate file folder, otherwise you never know what happen next.
Shortly saying, I am in dead end. My point is there is no sence to continue with Moodle until you master backup/restore procedure as it is the core of stable job.
It's pity, I like Moodle and regret money spent on hosting.

by Peter Poznyakov -

I have found the cause. As it often happens the explanation is simple. In version 1.9 new categories feature has been introduced. From now categories could be for (1) whole site, (2) a course group, and (3) a course. And questions files accordingly stored in site files folder for (1) and (2), and in course file folder for (3). I just put course questions in its course category and everything started working. But anyway I have to manually restore links to image files, it means that backup/restore procedure does not work properly.

By the way 'Category' is not good term as it used in Moodle. It would be better to name it 'Section/Subsection', while 'Category' must exist, but should be used in different way. Let say, questions in different sections could belong to different categories (sort of nestled virtual folders). It would be more flexible system to work with.
Sections/subsections could be a strict hierarchical system.
Categories/subcategories would be an additional auxiliary subsystem.
Also it would be fine to have a 'comments' field with a question (visible from a question list) to make notes/remarks what to do or done, how to change it and so on. If you have a lot of questions, it's not easy to memorize.
(I am not sure this is the right place to discuss, but failed to find the better one)