Interest in a "LMS comparison" panel at the SF Moodle Moot in June?

Interest in a "LMS comparison" panel at the SF Moodle Moot in June?

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Number of replies: 3
With the same spirit that Gary Anderson put up with the "usability panel" thread (see here), I'm planning on submitting a presentation proposal on the topic of "What can Moodle learn from other LMS (or, comparison of main-stream LMS)" for the upcoming SF Moodle Moot for June's Moodle Moot in SF.

Don't take me wrong, I think Moodle is great and I LOVE moodle! However, I'm still hearing from some of our faculty members and EDUCAUSE conference attendees comments like:

"Why can't Moodle do bla bla bla? This is really easy to do in XXX LMS..."

"You should try out Desire2Learn, it has got these xxx features that ...."

Moodle is great! But I think if we (the moodle community) could humble ourselves to listen to our users more and to learn from other great/better features in other LMS, that would really make us even stronger. Agree? I have some experience with Blackboard and WebCT, and recently have been trying out Desire2Learn (try it out here) and Sakai using my non-working time. I don't think I'm the best person to compare all these LMS and there are already sites that research this as commercial product (see here, wow over 70+ LMS!). But still, I think this would be a killer topic to talk about, after all, we all want to see our beloved Moodle grow even stronger! Agree? Comments or thoughts?

The key is sincere and objective comparison.

We could compare some of these mainstream LMS by using these criteria:
  • Features
  • Accessibility
  • Scalability and performance
  • Usability (probably would be covered in more depth in the other panel)
  • Trend and future development
  • Other criteria (to be added later)
Please let me know if you would like to participate with this panel discussion. Thanks!

Wen
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

Re: Interest in a "LMS comparison" panel at the SF Moodle Moot in June?

by Timothy Takemoto -

Thanks for that Desire2Learn link.
I like the buttons and the top left to "discuss" "comment" which is present even in quizes (I attempted to take the quiz on socio-cultural influences on self in the INTRO TO PSYCH course). This sort of functionality has been discussed on the Moodle forums
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=64619

I teach Oklahoma students (visiting my university) using Moodle.

In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I don't think explicitly setting out to copy other software is a good idea in general, not least because of possible patent infringement issues.

However, I'm sure many of the most-voted features in the tracker had some genesis in experiences people have had in other software, which is fine. Personally I'm not interested in where the idea comes from, as long as it's useful to Moodlers.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Martin, I agree. I didn't say we should "copy" features from other LMS though (just to clarify).. wink

Thanks for the most-voted features link! smile

Wen