Images in Quiz using a Mac

Images in Quiz using a Mac

by Steve Fisher -
Number of replies: 6

I have a quiz with several questions + photos. Students with a Mac are complaining that the photos are obscuring the text. Does anybody have a solution for these students?

steve_f

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Fisher

Re: Images in Quiz using a Mac

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
How big are they? Can you post a screenshot of the problem?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Steve Fisher -
JPEG's all about 50kb with about 10 images in a quiz of 50 questions. I've asked the student for a screengrab and have passed on Davids advice about the Mac browser.
In reply to Steve Fisher

by David Scotson -

This is a bit of a guess but if the students are using Internet Explorer 5.2 for Mac OS X get them to upgrade to/use Apple's own Safari browser. It's bundled with new Macs and can also be downloaded (for free) from http://www.apple.com/safari/

It has much better standard support and is less likely to give you surprises if the creator of the website is checking how it looks on Mozilla or Internet Explorer on a PC.

If they're still using Mac OS 9 then an operating system upgrade is highly recommended.

In reply to David Scotson

Off topic about old Macs

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Steve Jobs just this week declared the transition to Mac OS X was "complete". I've used (and programmed!) Mac OS since my first computer (Mac 512K!) but all I can say is good riddance to Mac OS Classic.
In reply to David Scotson

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Personally, I would not recommend either Safari or IE(Mac) for use with Moodle. Safari is still not compatible with the HTML editor. So if you use Safari, you will only be able to enter raw text. Text styles, color, images, links, etc. will have to be manually coded.

I recommend both Firefox and Mozilla for Mac OS X. With either of them, the HTML icon bar will appear and your students will enjoy customizing their replies. smile
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by David Scotson -
That's a very good point. I'd forgotten about the HTML editor as we have it switched off for everyone (as it's not particularly accessible, either to use or with regards to it's output).

Of the two browsers Don mentioned, though both are produced by the same group of people, I would steer people towards Firefox (on Mac or PC) as the difference in ease of use is night and day, particularly as Firefox strives to look and act like a native program on each platform.

I should note that Safari has a built in spell-checker for text areas, which FireFox lacks, so depending on the level of the students they may prefer correct spelling over multi-coloured text.