working on the Quiz reports for Moodle 2.0

working on the Quiz reports for Moodle 2.0

by Jamie Pratt -
Number of replies: 8
Hi all,

Just a note to inform you all that I've been employed by the OU to work on the quiz reports for Moodle 2.0. As well as working on all the existing bugs and feature requests I've been asked to do the following (links to the tracker issues with more details) :

Probably all of this will go into Moodle 2.0. I'm not sure how many bug fixes I'll be able to back port as this will be a major rewrite of the quiz reports. I will try to back port fixes were possible.

Jamie
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jamie Pratt

Re: working on the Quiz reports for Moodle 2.0

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Jamie - Best of luck with this work! Let me know if you need any help testing code. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Jamie,
Best luck with this job. I am willing to help test it on 2.0.
Joseph
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Jamie,
OU take the good man to do that jobwink

May I ask if you or OU has considered to use a report generator toll ( like the old Agata php and GPL ) as a starting point for the report part of your work:
make a Moodle block with it,
use Moodle database functions instead of direct access
and regulate it with Moodle roles.

With that new block you will only have to create a new template for each report needed. Adapting Agata as a block and creating required templates should not require more time than doing all the work you referenced in php?

The new report block will be usable with any Moodle modules. That should help to keep report user interface more consistent. And that would help non programmer to modify and better, to create reports for any modules!

Have good cogitationwink,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Jamie Pratt -
Hmmm. Interesting idea Bernard. It is a little late for a radical change in plans now since the spec for the project has already been agreed on. I'm not sure Agata would really give us the flexibility that we need for generating reports with complex statistical calculations?? Unfortunately all the docs seem to be in Spanish. And the demo is not working for me.
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Jamie,
sorry that you got problem with the installation of Agata.
At lunch time I revived part of the last installation I did for testing last year to compare it to phpreport with moodle database.

Only for your information, here are some "fresh" screenshots of the default installation and the way reports are created.

Salutations from Québec,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Jamie Pratt -
I'm guessing the phpreport and agata do very little complex processing of data after having retrieved the data from the database. I can't see that these tools will be able to make equivalents to the current quiz reports. Generating the quiz reports involves some quite complex processing of the data from the data base once the data is in memory, it is not just a matter of pulling data from the db. Only custom programmed reports in php will be able to do what we want here. Hopefully we can seperate common code into functions and simplify the coding of new reports.
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Pierre Pichet -
One possible way is to have interchange between Agata and Moodle using files.
This is why I modified recently the XLS and CSV output of the Item analysis report so that the data can be more easily input in other softwares.

Pierre
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
agata looks like a cool tool, but I think it fulfils a different role than the built in quiz reports. The core Moodle quiz reports need to be closely integrated into the rest of Moodle, and should be targeted at letting the teachers get the tasks they need to do relating to quizzes done efficiently. The reports need to be implemented in a Moodle way.

Hooking up a generalise reporting tool to the Moodle database to allow people with appropriate skills to construct any reports they like would be really good, but not what we are trying to do here.