HTML editor does not appear

HTML editor does not appear

by Florian Reichl -
Number of replies: 19
I'm a freshman:
I installed Moodle 1.9+ and German language packs yesterday. Working with Moodle the HTML editor does not appear.

Administration -> Appearance -> HTML editor -> Use HTML editor is ticked.

Editing my profile there are no advanced settings in the "General" section. So it is not possible to switch HTML editing in the profile on or off.

Down below where I should enter the description about myself there is only a simple editor (no HTML). There is a link "Editor shortcut keys." which is, of course, useless.

I desparately need a HTML editor - please help me.

Thanks a lot for your support,
Florian
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Florian Reichl

Re: HTML editor does not appear

by Scott Bartley -
What browser are you using? I haven't been able to get the editor to work with Safari.
In reply to Scott Bartley

by Florian Reichl -
Firefox 2.0.0.13 on a Mac - but same problems with IE on Windows XP.

by Matt Molloy -

Hi Florian,

Have you tried 'Edit Profile' and then hit the 'Show Advanced' button. That should give you the option 'When editing text', from which you can choose the html editor.

Safari on the Mac will not show the editor, but Firefox will.

Matt

In reply to Matt Molloy

by Florian Reichl -
Hi Matt,

if I press the "Show Advanced" button nothing changes. I don't have the choice to choose any editor.

But if I turn to Site administration -> Appearance -> HTML editor I can switch the HTML editor on and off. If it is turned on I don't see the editor but I see a line that says "Editor shortcut keys" (which is not helpful since the editor does not work).

Thanks and best regards,
Florian

by Florian Reichl -
Solved!
There was an error in the /moodle/lib directory on the server.

Probably it was an error in the .htaccess file in this directory so nobody could access the files inside /moodle.lib. The result was that Moodle worked like Javascript beeing switched off since the browser could not access the Javascript files inside /moodle/lib.

Thank you all for helping me!

Best regards,
Florian
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Warren Bez -
Hi Florian

i am having the exact same problem, could you tell me what to look for in the lib folder?

Thanks

Warren
In reply to Warren Bez

by Eugenio Rodríguez Peláez -
Hi Florian

i am having the same problem, could you tell me what to look for in the lib folder?

Thanks
In reply to Eugenio Rodríguez Peláez

by John White -
Eugenio,

I notice that Florian is not currently registered in this forum, nonetheless his comment seemed to point to a solution to this problem.

The issue appears to be in .htaccess at the top level of your installation, above the public_html and moodledata directories. Now if you are on a shared server you may not be able to see that file, it could well be in the sole control of your host! Or it may be supplanted by a file php.ini which may be under their control only.

The copy of htaccess (no dot, note) is placed in moodle/lib (that is to say public_html/lib) as a template ready to copy up to this top level. But on a shared server you likely wouldn't be able to do that yourself!

The important point is that where Apache is running there needs to be a line in the file allowing access to files in the moodle path...
<IfDefine APACHE2>
 AcceptPathInfo on
</IfDefine>
or just...
 AcceptPathInfo on

by John White -
...also note Ron Meske's comment at...

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=108249#p476043

...in case its the compatibility issue he raises that is the real cause.

JW
In reply to John White

by Eugenio Rodríguez Peláez -
Thanks Jhon for your answer, I've done everything you explain to me, but the problem persists. I'm a bit desperate enojado. I do not understand why my other moodle 1.9.2, in the same server but in another direction works all right, and this (which worked perfectly) now has no editor.

by John White -
Eugenio,

I would have suggested that you upgrade to 1.9.3, but Jon Penn (see below) did so with no benefit to this issue!
Nonetheless, you might be uniquely placed to find the solution to this problem since you have two instances one that works, one that doesn't.

Are both the same Build of 1.9.2?
Are you on Godaddy?
Are the 2 instances on the same physical server, or just with the same host?

You could try going through every line of Site Administration->Server->PHP info,
and through Environment, and config.php looking for any differences at all!!!
Are you able you see php.ini or .htaccess to look for difference in those?

You could try looking at both lots of the table mdl_config to see if you can find anomolies... perhaps using...
SELECT *
FROM `mdl_config`
WHERE `name` LIKE '%edit%';

You could ask your host to post you copies of php.ini and .htaccess if you cannot reach them.

All of this is pure guesswork from me!

If you find something let us all know.

Regards,

John

In reply to John White

by Jon Penn -
OK. FINAL. Forget Godaddy.

I just got a new host account with BlueHost. and Moodle is working beautifully... have been installing all the plugins I have wanted all day.

I have been troubleshooting this for weeks... my solution is:

ABANDON GODADDY NOW! They suck.

J

In reply to Jon Penn

by John White -
Jon,

I had a feeling we were heading in that direction!

Although Eugenio may not be on Godaddy (we will see no doubt in due course), it does look as if they're doing something that is impeding Moodle, and worse still not being open to discussing the problem!

What's more the problem looks like it might be Ron Meske's compression issue despite a denial from Godaddy.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=108249#p476732

Regards,

John

by Lena Persson -

We have neither a /moodle.lib nor a /moodle/lib/.htaccess file, but we still get this strange behaviour where the html editor fails to show in IE7 (version 7.0.5730.11) on Windows XP - unless we refresh with Ctrl-F5.  

If anyone has found the solution we'd be really grateful for a sufficiently detailed explanation of how to implement it.

(Moodle 1.9+ on OpenSolaris)

by Cesar Martinez -

Please I need some help. I did everything I could but it's impossible. I'm using a free host www.moodlehub.com and the HTML editor doesn't appear. Don't know what to do. I'm a teacher and I have to start running the course right now!. My platform www.englishcourse.moodlehub.com

I'll apreciate your help.

by Jon Penn -
I am an teacher wrestling with this same problem. Have been reading through tons of posts and trying to test the application of the solutions suggested. Nothing works.

Moodle 1.9.2 (just upgraded to 1.9.3 to see if that would fix it) no good.

Online hosting by godaddy. Apache 1.33, php 5, MYSQL 5.

Please post the solution here if a fix is found... This is driving me crazy !
In reply to Jon Penn

by Bronwen Campbell -

I'm having the same problem - but not consistently. It only seems to be some areas that won't display the html editor, but once it is gone, I can't get it back. Firefox is better than IE, but I still have one instance inside a Wiki where there is no html editor.

My hosting is with siteground, and I'm still on 1.9.2 as I rely on them to have the upgrade available - am waiting on 1.9.3, although it looks as though that won't solve the problem based on other posts. Look forward to a straightforward fix, as I don't have the skills to get into the individual lines of code, or to start messing about with the server.