Beginning to think about upgrading to 1.9 here at Humboldt State University but have yet to install a test instance. My biggest concern at the moment is if our current courses that are running GBv2 are going to restore nicely into 1.9's gradebook. Has anyone attempted this yet, or is it known that this works/doesn't work?
Also, I've done a quick review of the 1.9 gradebook documentation available, and so far I'm not seeing anything about a drop x lowest score feature or a grade exception feature as we have in GBv2. Are these present in 1.9?
We upgraded to 1.9 two weeks ago.
Two issues have surfaced:
1. Totals columns for categories and the course seem to revert to "mean of grades". I've had to tell everyone how to change it to "sum of grades" to get points totals to show correctly.
2. Grade items created using "managed graded events" don't seem to be converting at all. They just disappear in 1.9. I don't have a work around for that problem yet.
I solved it by working out which fields in the grade table needed to be modified and using a SQL query to change them to correct values site wide.
I can not remember exact command I used (or even correct fields), but it was something like:
SET gradetype = 1
WHERE itemtype = "category"
There may have been other things as well but I'm not sure.
- Perform the following sql query: UPDATE `mdl_grade_category` set aggregation = 11 where aggregation = 10. This will replace all grade categories set to "Weighted Mean of Grades" with "Simple Weighted Mean of Grade".
- Perform the following sql query: UPDATE `mdl_grade_category` set aggregation = 11 where aggregation = 9. This will replace all grade categories set to "Mean of Grades" with "Simple Weighted Mean of Grade".
- Go into Site Administration->Grades->General Settings
- Toggle the "Include Scales in Aggregation" checkbox on or off
- Save Changes. It will take a while for grades in the system to recalculate.
- Toggle the "Include Scales in Aggregation" back to its original position before step 3
- Save Changes again.
I have just gone through this process and found the following problems. Firstly I couldn't do the cvs update as something was corrupt and had to restart a cvs folder. I copied over the config.php, backed up the database and data folder so the issues I found may be specific to my installation.
The first issue was that following the installation of 1.9 and the admin set up the tables, mdl_grade_item and mdl_grade_category disappeared. They were in my back up so I simply stuck them back in and went through the guide.
All appears well. Thanks for all your work.
A clean upgrade path would make a HUGE difference to us.
Messing about with SQL statements we can do...but do we have confidence in our ability to not screw it up...not really!!
The other issue is that 1.9 gradebook is uneccessarily complicated and user hostile compared to GBPv2. So we are trying to figure out how to simplify it before we send our poor teaching staff in that direction.
Anyone done an upgrade package yet?