Grade average wrong

Grade average wrong

by John Ryan -
Number of replies: 0
I'm using the standard gradebook in moodle 1.8.4 and have a problem with the averages produced.

I have created a Category (called Unit 27) and so far have two assignments in it. One has been completed and one is due soon (2 students have submitted for this but I haven't graded these yet).

The both assignments are to be graded on a scale "fail,pass,merit,distinction" (I created this scale).

When I view this category the averages column shows me the grade for the first assignment as expected (the average of one grade is that grade) BUT the average for the two students who have submitted work for the second assignment shows as "0".

Even if I put a grade in for the second assignment the average comes out at "0".

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong and if so how do I correct this?

John

PS On a separate note I have been playing with outcomes on my 1.9 test site using the same scale and have noticed a problem with the averaging of the grades. On a class with 12 students 11 achieved a Pass and one a fail. This produced an overall average of a "Fail" which doesn't seem a fair reflection. It seems to be that each of the grades is assigned a number for calculation purposes (fail=1, pass=2, etc.) and it is these numbers that are averaged so in my scenario the average comes out at just below 2.

Surely it would make more sense to round this number rather than just truncate to 1 as seems to be the case.