Newest classes will not backup (Aprox. 2 weeks old).

Newest classes will not backup (Aprox. 2 weeks old).

by James Desterhouse -
Number of replies: 2

Yeah, as the title says, the classes I have created within the past 2 or so weeks (approx. 12 classes in all) are not backing up with Moodle's scheduled backup.  Whereas, all other classes created before 2 weeks ago are backing up successsfully.  I'm pretty clueless as to how to go about it to fix it.  Moodle Cron seems to be working and I can't identify any logs that will assist me on where the problem could be.  In fact, when I select Reports ==> Backups and select a class to view the log that has error’ed, it informs me that there isn't a log present.

So I'm in a bit of a stump.  I'm not sure how exactly to go about in fixing because I have no idea where the problem is.  All the other 50+ classes are backing up fine--or is being skipped for no changes.  Only ones that are having errors are the brand new ones I created within the last 2 or so weeks.

My Moodle version is Moodle 1.8.4 (2007021540)

And I also have XAMPP 1.6.6a (www.apachefriends.org) running the PHP and Apache services.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Desterhouse

Re: Newest classes will not backup (Aprox. 2 weeks old).

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi James,

and all your 50+ old courses finish 100% ok? Do you receive email notifications about scheduled backup? If so, how does the summary looks like? Do it include your 12 courses in the count?

I would suggest you, just before the execution of the cron that uses to perform the scheduled backup (you know the exact time), to stop the cron and run it manually from the web. Or also, you can try to redirect output of the whole process to some file (for further testing).

Also, those 12 courses that, in your words, haven't backup details in logs... how do they appear in the list of courses? With times, without them, with "Error"... or what?

I cannot imagine one direct reason for those courses being skipped at all. Only if one crashes due to some execution reason I can see one possibility for the new 12 ones not being ever included in backup. That's the reason I request you to see carefully the status of all your 12 courses by saving cron output somewhere and also to examine carefully if really all your 50+ old courses are ending ok and all your 12 new courses haven't log details at all.

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Re: Newest classes will not backup (Aprox. 2 weeks old).

by James Desterhouse -

Sorry it took a while to get back to you on this.   As for the 50+ other courses, 90% of them do finish 100%.  However, a handful are labeled "skipped"  On the Cron output, it's labeled as unchanged.  So that's what I thought about the 'skipped' classes, they are unchanged so there's no real need to back it up, according to cron.   All other courses (through the cron output) are set to 'Next execution:...'  to the determined time I set for them to back up.

For the 12 classes, what I mean by no details in logs is when I look at the reports and see 'error'  I try to select the class and see if I can tell me just where the error might be.  However, it will inform me that there isn't a log available. 

Is there a directory in moodle somewhere that has a .txt file that keeps track of the Moodle backups so I don't have to depend on the Moodle GUI reports for info?

So, for now, I believed the skipped courses are fine, they are being skipped do to no changes.  The other successful classes look to be backing up in their entirety.  Though the 'error'ed ones are leaving me stumped.