Dialogue Module and Groups

Dialogue Module and Groups

by Ray Kingdon -
Number of replies: 11
Dialogues can now be started with groups of students. If the course is in visible group mode the teacher can start the same dialogue with any group. If the course is in separate group mode then the teacher can only start dialogues with the group to which the teacher belongs.

• Once started the dialogues proceed on a one-to-one basis, they are still dialogues (that is, they are not group discussions, aka forums).
  • Students can not start dialogues with a group (groups are only for teachers).
  • In separate group mode, a teacher who is not a member of a group can not start dialogues with any group.
Personally I'm not too sure that the last point is the correct way round. I originally coded it so that in separate group mode a teacher who is not in any group is a "super teacher" and could see any group and thus start dialogues going with any of the groups. Some ruling on that would be useful... thoughtful

This version is in CVS.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ray Kingdon

Re: Dialogue Module and Groups

by Ray Kingdon -
I've revisited Groups in the Dialogue Module. The latest code now handles Groups in a way which is more consistent with other Moodle modules.

Students still cannot see Groups (in separate group mode they should only see other students in their group, I'll have to check that...).

Teachers now see a drop down list of "All Participants" and the groups defined in the course. They can now start the same dialogue with all the students in the selected "Group" (which could be All Participants). The selected group is "sticky". If the teacher selects a group in a forum then that group stays selected when they go into a dialogue. By default, the selected group is the teacher's allocated group. It's quite cool and neatly sidesteps the question I posed in the post above.

It's in CVS and coming soon to the Modules page.
Ray

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Ray Kingdon -
"Students still cannot see Groups (in separate group mode they should only see other students in their group, I'll have to check that...)."

I'm afraid that sentence is not particularly clear.

I've now changed the code somewhat for students. If student-to-student dialogues are allowed then with no groups defined or when the module is in Visible Groups mode, a student sees all the other students in the course. If the module is in Separate Groups mode a student now does see only the students in their own group. If a student does not belong to any group then they see no other students (which I think is correct).

The behaviour of the module for teachers is unchanged.

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Étienne Rozé -
Hello,

Are these functions exist only in the CVS version ?
I want to use the 1.4.1+ moodle version. Which dialogue version I have to download for using these functions ?
I just want a teacher can dialogue only with students of his group...
It seems that it doesn't work with the packages I find here : version 1.4
or version 1.5

Thank you
In reply to Étienne Rozé

by Ray Kingdon -
The latest version of the Dialogue module (1.5) from the Modules and Add-ons page should work with 1.4 Moodle. (It should work with any Moodle distribution after May 2004.) What problems are you seeing?
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Étienne Rozé -
I would like dialogs can be possible only inside a group.
In fact when I choose separeted group for a dialog, I can dialog with  all the student if I am a teacher and with all the teacher if I am a student.
There is no change compared the case whitout groups.

In reply to Étienne Rozé

by Ray Kingdon -
You are right. The module wasn't calling one of the group functions correctly. I've just made the fix and the new version of the dialogue module is now in CVS.
Thanks
Ray
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Étienne Rozé -
OK. Thank you very much. Now a teacher sees only his group students
but ( because there is a 'but' smile )  :
A student see all the teacher. May be a choice ?

Still thank you for your speed
In reply to Étienne Rozé

by Ray Kingdon -
Etienne, I think we're getting there... big grin. The list of teachers seen by a student is now limited to the teacher(s) in their group. If the student does not belong to a group then they see all the teachers in the course, I think that's better than showing the "homeless" student no teachers all at.

This fix is in CVS. Thanks, Ray.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Valentin Vakhrushev -
I'd like to use dialogue module as a consultation between teacher and students. And I need a new type of dialogue in which students can open new dialogues only with teachers in group (I'm working with separated groups). I think there is no difficulties for you to add this functionality smile Could you? ;)
With best regards...
In reply to Valentin Vakhrushev

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I didn't really intend to add any new features to dialogue.

Really if we are going to continue to support it, it needs quite a bit of work to bring up to date.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Martín Langhoff -
I hear University of Waikato has an mod/dialogue that works well with 1.9. Nag Matt Clarkson or Dean Stringer about it, says Teresa smile