Student self-registration with unique enrollment key

Student self-registration with unique enrollment key

by Charlotte Smith -
Number of replies: 11

We are concerned about students sharing an enrollment key so want to create a unique key that will be sent to each student on a postcard. They will need use this key in order to be able to access the registration page. Once they've registered they won't need to use this initial password again.

We will be printing 9,000 keys (although we don't expect anything like that number of users).

I do have some experience of php (although I'm far from really knowing what I'm doing) and creating new tables in the database etc so my plan was to create a new table in the database which contains all these new passwords, then get php to check against this list and deactivate the password once it has been used so that it can't be used by more than one person.

My questions are:

1. has anybody done anything like this before?

2. does my methodology seem reasonable and workable/safe?

3. how on earth do I go about creating 9000 passwords in the database?

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer

Cheryl

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Charlotte Smith

Re: Student self-registration with unique enrollment key

by Barry Ross -

Hi there, were you ever able to find a solution to this problem? 

In reply to Barry Ross

by Nosipho Dhladhla -

Hi Barry,

No, not yet. Still looking for a solution to student self-registration using unique keys.

In reply to Nosipho Dhladhla

by Alek Hartzog -

Hey guys,

We developed a solution to this issue for our business- we have a plugin that allows you to generate unique codes through the enrollment screen for each course. It uses the shortname of each course and then adds 5 random numbers/letters to create a code that can only be redeemed once.

Screenshots of the functionality: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30946034/Code%20Plugin%20Pics.zip

Just wanted to let you know its absolutely possible! We will be posting our version of this next year when the programmer who developed it gets off the submarine he's currently deployed on.

In reply to Alek Hartzog

by Dawn Brown -

Hi. Do you happen to still have this solution? The link is no longer available. I am looking to issue a new enrollment key to each user who enrolls in our courses. More specifically I am looking to issue a unique enrollment key via email as part of the confirmation for the course.  Can this be done? Currently I am making the enrollment key available to cut and paste from the course description. Which is not how we want to grant acces to specific courses.

In reply to Nosipho Dhladhla

by A Enriquez -

This is interesting as we're also looking into implementing a "Voucher Code" type program into our system. So far I've managed to utilize a free password generator online and mass upload groups with unique enrollment keys (via CSV) into moodle using the built in import function. I'm now searching for a way to limit the number of people in a group. So far, I've been able to log 2 students into 2 separate courses via group enrollment + unique keys. The only part I won't be able to handle without additional plugins/programming is the auto deletion of the enrollment key, so manual intervention may be needed.

I'm thinking of possibly just moving the user into an "Active" group once they've successfully joined the enrollment key protected group, then deleting the group manually to ensure the key cannot be re-used.

In reply to A Enriquez

by Chet Smith -

We'd been working on this awhile back...I just decided to open source this. Feel free to try it out, at you own risk.

https://github.com/chetsmith/Moodle-Unique-User-Registration-Codes

- Chet

In reply to Chet Smith

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Chet, do you still have something like this available? the link above doesn't work any longer and I still think this would be a valuable addon to Moodle.

In reply to A Enriquez

by Doug Bell -

Hello,

I am using moodle 2.2. I am inquiring about a post by: A Enriquez on may 2nd. You stated:

mass upload groups with unique enrollment keys (via CSV) into moodle using the built in import function.

I guess I was not aware of uploading mass groups. It seems what you ar doing is uploading mass groups each with a different voucher key. This is a back door way of doing it, but it seems to work.

How do you upload mass groups, each with a different key?

In reply to Doug Bell

by Priyanka Rawat -

Hello.. Can anyone please help me..I am also working on self enrolment with unique keys..I want that the student has to enter a unique key and based on the key..an admin has the ability to either confirm or cancel his enrolment..

Thanks