1.9 Gradebook and Legacy Extra Credit

1.9 Gradebook and Legacy Extra Credit

by Daniel Zimmerman -
Number of replies: 0
In a number of my courses, students can earn over 100% on various assignments by doing extra credit of various kinds. In the 1.8.x gradebook, I dealt with this by adding a second assignment for extra credit, putting the two in the same category, and marking the extra credit one as such. This worked wonderfully, and allowed students to earn grades like 115% on certain assignments.

When I updated my site to 1.9, all my grades were transferred, apparently without incident... but they no longer calculate correctly, because all the categories are capped at 100%. Thus, it is now impossible for me to look at old grades and see the results as they were actually scored. All the information seems to be there - the extra credit assignments are marked as such - but the calculations don't work.

I can understand the idea of capping grades at 100% (though I disagree with it, as I think it's somewhat arbitrary; extra credit is not at all an uncommon phenomenon, and if some Moodle users want to give grades over 100%, why not let them), but the fact that legacy grades in the new gradebook are calculated differently (even to the extent that even the overall rankings of students in the class differ, sometimes significantly!) - is a serious problem, if for no other reason than that it prevents me from going back and seeing how a new quarter of the same class performed relative to previous ones.

Anybody have any idea how I can get my grades back to the way I originally intended them?