"Completed time" of Attempts not logged in Quiz module

"Completed time" of Attempts not logged in Quiz module

by vic estilo -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

We just recently pilot tested our Moodle Quiz module and had ~50 students attempt the quiz. The quiz was composed of essay and T/F questions and quiz was only opened for a couple of hours.

Problem occurred upon reviewing the results, we saw that only one student(let's call him J) has a Time Completed stamp and the remaining students have their "Time Completed" fields blank and therefore having their Time completed set to open and Grade to 0. The quiz is now closed but good thing was their answers were saved. We clicked the regrade link to see if all students will have a grade but instead it removed the initial grade that student J received. We haven't graded the essay questions yet as we want to resolve this issue first.

The students all took the test at the same time by the way. And the result of this test will be considered in their curriculum so this is currently a big problem for usmixed

We're using: 
Moodle 1.8.2 (Quiz module version is 2007020200)
PHP  5.2.4
MySQL 4.1
IIS on Windows 2003 server

Average of ratings: -
In reply to vic estilo

Re: "Completed time" of Attempts not logged in Quiz module

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Did the students click 'Submit all and Finish' to end their attempts? If not, they won't be counted.

There are various ways round the problem because, as you say, all their responses are saved. I think the easiest way is to Extend the time limit on the quiz, so it is still available; then log in as each student; then click Submit all and Finish on their behalf.

Test this idea cautiously with one student first.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by vic estilo -
Yes they all did click "Submit and Finish". We hid/disabled the button Save without submitting. The end time of the test was also way after all the students finished the test. Most of the students reported that after clicking submit and finish all they got was a blank page after that.

Our work around for this issue was that I had to manually edit the time completed field in the database so as to mark their attempt completed. Could it possibly be an issue that all of them took the quiz at the same time and probably submitted the exam almost at the same time?

We really want to avoid a recurrence of this issue.
In reply to vic estilo

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
A blank page is normally a sign that an error occurred. To actually see the error message and know what happened, you need to turn on the debugging settings under Admin -> Server -> Debugging. The fact that lots of students submitted at once may well be the trigger of the problem.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by vic estilo -

Okay.. I'll enable that. Btw, we had another test also with 14users taking the exam and all of their time completed were all left blank eventhough the teachers ensured that they click "Save and Submit".

There'll be another test tonight so I'll enable the error logging and see if I can find something useful in the logs.