Integration with Course Page

Integration with Course Page

by Scott Karren -
Number of replies: 11
I have downloaded and installed the f2f mod. It looks great. I would know like to integrate it into the course page. I have read and re-read the instructions for doing this and keep coming up with a parse error with the code in place. I am not a developer but understand some basic coding, can someone give me very basic instructions on where this code should be placed or even a screenshot or copy of the lib.php with the code in place? Thanks for any help.

Scott Karren
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Karren

Re: Integration with Course Page

by François Marier -
Hi Scott,

What version of Moodle are you using?

If you want, you can attach your course/lib.php file (before and after your changes) and I can let you know what the problem is.

It's probably worthwhile to repost these instructions here for the benefit of other subscribers.

Cheers,

Francois
In reply to François Marier

by Tony Parke -

Hi Francois,

Please find attached my course/lib.php that I would like to add the code for Face to Face course integration. Perhaps you could let us know after which line in the lib.php file we should add the integration code...

--- /cvs/moodle18/course/lib.php 2007-10-05 20:19:29.000000000 +1300
+++ course/lib.php 2007-11-06 21:14:08.000000000 +1300
@@ -1382,6 +1382,10 @@

echo "</span>";
 }

+ } elseif {$mod->modname == 'facetoface') {
+  include_once($CFG->dirroot.'/mod/facetoface/lib.php');
+  echo facetoface_print_coursemodule_info($mod);
+
 } else { // Normal activity

// Accessibility: for files get description via icon.

Thank you for a great mod.
Tony

In reply to Tony Parke

by François Marier -
Hi Tony,

The same instructions apply to your version:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Integrating_Face-to-face_sessions_on_the_course_page

But the place where the code needs to be inserted is closer to line 1160.

Francois

by Scott Karren -

Francois

Thanks for your help in this.  I am using the following:

Moodle 1.9+ (20080327)

Apache 2.2.6

Oracle 10.2.0.1.0

PHP 5.2.5

I have included both the modified and unmodified lib.php files.  Thanks again, my organization is very excited at the possibility of using this module within Moodle.

Scott Karren

In reply to Scott Karren

by François Marier -
I have just improved the instructions on the Moodle wiki:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Integrating_Face-to-face_sessions_on_the_course_page

The problem was that I used the patch format without really explaining what it meant. (Only the lines starting with a plus sign had to be added to the code.)

I hope the new instructions make the process more obvious. Please let me know if the instructions are still not good enough though.

Francois

by Scott Karren -
Francois

It worked like a charm, thanks for the help. Has there been any thought of integrating this as a course format?

Scott Karren
In reply to Scott Karren

by François Marier -
Hi Scott,

Sorry for the late reply. What do you mean exactly by "integrating this as a course format"?

Do you mean integrating it so that Moodle displays the information on the course page by default?

Francois

by Scott Karren -
Francois

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, my original thought was to be able to display the information as part of the course summary so that students would be able to sign up for a f2f session from the available courses page. Thinking about it further it seems that it would make more sense as an enrollment plug-in. Something that would allow the students to sign up for the session they want without having to first enroll in the course and then sign up.

One of the things that is a bit inconvenient is the fact that students need to enroll in the course, then sign up for a session. I now have two course rosters that I need to manage, if the student wanted to un-enroll from the course they would first have to cancel the f2f session and then un-enroll. Does this make sense?

I am not a developer by any means but I would be willing to invest sometime to take a stab at it if you can point me to the correct files and provide some advice.

Scott Karren
In reply to Scott Karren

by François Marier -
I think I see what you mean. At the moment, to approximate what you're describing, you'd have to have automatic enrolment and all of the Face-to-face activities in a course.

I'm not sure exactly how I would implement what you're describing because it sounds like it would be putting a lot of interactivity into the course summary element.

Perhaps a description of how your courses are organized and how they relate to the Face-to-face activities would help us figure out a way to support your workflow better.

by Scott Karren -
Francois

The majority of my courses at present are instructor led with complimentary materials online. I will have one class that I teach five different times throughout the next two months. Students will sign-up for one three hour session and then go online to download the materials needed for the class. Once class is completed they will go back online to complete the class assessment and evaluation.

I could put the f2f activities in the first topic of a course and then all subsequent materials in other topics, but students still face the inconvenience of signing up twice for the course. What I kinda envision is that a student will select the course they want from the available courses list, the sessions sign-up screen will appear, the student will select the session they want to attend and then be taken to the course screen itself showing what session they are signed up for and have access to all materials.

Again, I wonder if this would be something more suited as an enrollment plugin instead of an activity within a course? Let me know your thoughts or if you have additional questions.

Scott Karren