Backup files are extremly large!!!!

Backup files are extremly large!!!!

by Omar Dhaher -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,

We have upgraded to Moodle 1.9+ around 2 weeks ago. After one week, we had a full hard disk! After invistigating the propblem, we found out that when a rotuine backup for a course is done, the file size is extremly large.

For example, one course has aout 1.5 MB of data, and the backup file was around 130MB!! This never happened in the past.

So after further invistigation, we found out that when the course is backedup, all user files of the site (Around 8000 users), not only course members, are backed up and added to the file, which makes it so big!!!

Is there anything to do rather than disabling the user files option in the backups?

Regards,

Omar
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Omar Dhaher

Re: Backup files are extremly large!!!!

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Omar,

AFAIK when you perform one course backup manually, there is one setting to select only "course" users (in fact, that's the default value of the setting). With that setting, only *needed* users will be exported (where *needed* are enrolled + users that have participated in the course, usually, unenroled users that have performed some actions in the course, like forum posts...).

If you are performing scheduled backups, you can find the same setting (that will be applied to all courses in your site) under Admin->Courses->Backup. That setting should be set to "course" too in order to backup only *needed* users.

Ciao smile

PS: If your settings are ok, I'd recommend you to create one detailed bug in the Tracker. That way, one developer will be able to reproduce and fix the problem quickly. Yes
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Omar Dhaher -
Thank you for your reply. Actually the settings are fine. We never ran into this problem before. I should create a tracker.

Regards,

Omar
In reply to Omar Dhaher

by chris dennison -

I recently had a problem (running 1.8+) where my backups were becoming large.

In my case it was a failing course backup that didn't clean itself up after backup - so all the bits and pieces were being re-backed up and then failing again.

The point of this little story is that I found out what was going on by looking at the backup file - unzipping it and browsing round the folders looking for big chunks of data.  They turned up in temp folders.  It may help you figure out what's going on.

Chris

In reply to chris dennison

by Omar Dhaher -
Well, The problem is clear for me now. When the site perform its routine backup; site user files (8000+ users) are stored in the file, resulting in a 100+ MB file for each course.

Omar
In reply to chris dennison

by Tom Gilmore -
Thanks for the hint, Chris.  Nice to see how a sleuth tracks down the culprit when troubleshooting.