Safe mode operation.

Safe mode operation.

by Paul H -
Number of replies: 3
I would like to install and use Moodle, but I see the system requirements note that Safe Mode must be turned off.  There are benefits to running in safe mode.  When php is running in safe mode on the server, other users are prevented from writing and running scripts that can access other user's files, for example.  I don't believe the system administrator is going to turn off safe mode on our server, and I'd like to be able to utilize the features Moodle offers.  Is it possible to install and run Moodle successfully on a server with safe mode turned on? 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul H

Re: Safe mode operation.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Try it! No really - it *might* work, it might not. It will probably run, but you may need to fiddle around with permissions to be able to save data.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Paul H -

Do you operate Moodle in a safe mode environment?  Should I wait a bit before taking the time to install it?  Will future Moodle releases be better geared to work with safe mode turned on? 

In reply to Paul H

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No I don't. However, as it only takes about 20..30 minutes (all being well) to install Moodle I think it's worth a try.