index files and directory listing

index files and directory listing

by Séverin Terrier -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello,

in Moodle, some directories have useful index.php files (files/, group/, admin/, ...), some other have index.html files, just to avoid directory listing (enrol/, filter/, lib/, ...).

But there are also some other directories that have no index.* file (calendar/, question/, ...)

Wouldn't it be more logic to adopt the same thing everywhere, to avoid directory listing ?

Séverin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Séverin Terrier

Re: index files and directory listing

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Séverin,
I had the same feeling: see MDLSITE-183.
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Nicolas,

i know there's nothing really serious about security, and people shouldn't see these type of URLs, but just don't understand why some directories have index.html file (even void), and some other don't...
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Séverin,

if I'm not wrong... only directories able to contain "plugins" are protected from listing by using those index.html files.

For example modules, blocks, filters, authentication and enrolment methods...

That will prevent public disclosure about what custom (contrib, own...) modules are being used in your site.

The rest is, simply, Moodle. And everybody can see its contents by downloading it. So it isn't protected.

Ciao smile