Print Blank Problem in v1.9 in IE

Print Blank Problem in v1.9 in IE

by Zbigniew Zdziarski -
Number of replies: 19
Hi,

For some reason the Print Blank button (or any printing button for that matter) does not work in IE. Is anybody else having the same problem? Firefox has no issues - it pops up a new window with a printer-friendly version of the questionnaire.

I've seen this problem on a few computers already that use IE.

What's funny, is that the questionnaire module v1.8 for Moodle 1.8 works correctly in Firefox and IE. There's something not quite right with the 1.9 version in Moodle 1.9.

Any ideas?

Zbigniew
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zbigniew Zdziarski

Re: Print Blank Problem in v1.9 in IE

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Zbigniew,
Thanks for reporting this very tricky bug. I spent the better part of the afternoon tracking itangry. It is not a Questionnaire bug, but is due to some changes to the weblib library in Moodle 1.9. I have reported it as bug MDL-13985. Please vote for it if you want it fixed as soon as possible (I can only report it, not fix it myself).
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Daniele Cordella -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
I went to give my contribution voting for MDL-13985
but I found it fixed.

Moodle community if exciting!!!!!
Thanks to all, as usual.
In reply to Daniele Cordella

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I see that Daniele got up just one minute earlier than I did, this morning.wink
Joseph

by Joseph Rézeau -
Bug has been fixed in CVS. Please update your 1.9 moodle.
Joseph

by Zbigniew Zdziarski -
Ah, there's nothing like waking up in the morning and seeing a problem that you reported not only recognised but fixed the very next day.

Thanks guys smile

by Zbigniew Zdziarski -
Did I speak too soon perhaps?

For some reason I'm still getting the same thing occurring :/

Could someone please install the fix and tell me if it has solved the problem for them?

Thanks

by Joseph Rézeau -
What files have you updated on your system? You should update either moodle/lib/weblib.php Revision 1.970.2.72 or contrib/plugins/mod/questionnaire/locallib.php Revision 1.49.2.17.
Indeed you should update both.
I can confirm that it works on 1.9. If not, please specify what you did for update, etc.
Joseph

by Zbigniew Zdziarski -
Hmmm... the change worked on my friend's computer (WinXP, IE7) but it's not working for me (Windows Server 2003, IE7). That doesn't make sense but as long as it works on WinXP, that's the most important thing. Funny how a small thing like this can return mixed results.

However, I think I've come across another bug. Once again, this does not occur in Firefox but when I go to: 'All responses- view X'->'View By Response'->'Print This Response', the user's responses are not shown in IE.

Zbigniew

PS The 'Print xxxx' buttons stand out from the crowd a bit in IE. This ain't an important issue but I thought I'd raise it nonetheless. Thanks for you help smile

by Joseph Rézeau -
> when I go to: 'All responses- view X'->'View By Response'->'Print This Response', the user's responses are not shown in IE.

Which version of MSIE ? Works fine for me on MSIE 7.0. Do you get an error message? which one?

> The 'Print xxxx' buttons stand out from the crowd a bit in IE.

Yes, I know. In fact I hardly ever use MSIE, I always use FireFox, which is way better, so I don't always think of checking things out in MSIE (and I must admit I don't care too muchevil).

All the best

Joseph

by Zbigniew Zdziarski -
I checked this issue out on two machines running winXP and IE 7.0.5730.11 and both of them did not show questionnaire results when they followed the steps mentioned above...

by Joseph Rézeau -
Again I have not problems displaying those response results using current 1.9 version of Questionnaire on MSIE 7. What exactly happens? A screen shot would help (complete window). Do you see any error reporting from MSIE? Could you try to see if you can see individual responses to questionnaires on my test site (login as teacher1, password teacher1)?
Since it works on my Windows XP with MSIE 7.0.5730.11, there must be something wrong either with your moodle install, your questionnaire install, your windows XP, your browser or your questionnaires. Sorry I can't help if I can't reproduce the problem.
Can any other Questionnaire users please try and report? It would help.
Joseph

by Daniele Cordella -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
> Can any other Questionnaire users please try and report? It would help.
I am sorry, but although it is unbelievable I have no availability of MSWindows with MSIE 7.
I have never used MSWindows nor for professional activity nor at home.

by moronke fajobi -

Hi Joseph,

please find attached a copy of the screenshots as requested by you for the options not displayed in the print window questionnaire in IE fersion 7.0

furthermore, on your test site, the print this response button does not function when clicked on, rather a message on the status bar is displayed error on page.

while the print blank button works but the print window is displayed without the menubar.

In reply to moronke fajobi

by Joseph Rézeau -
Thanks,
I have finally found the bug in the "print this response" function for MSIE. And, on my moodle test site I had forgotten to update the fix to bug MDL-13985... I have now done all that is necessary and it does work on my test site. Unfortunately my test site, hosted by 1&1 as part of the free 3-year deal, is terribly slow these days, you'll have to be patient!
I will commit the necessary changes to contrib today.
Thanks for being patient and keeping reporting the bug so I could finally correct it (hopefully).
Joseph

by Zbigniew Zdziarski -
Yes, the Print the Response bug has been fixed... good stuff!

however...

The Print Blank button does not want to work anymore. See the attached image for the error message that I receive. The same error message is reported in IE7 and FF on WinXP and Win2003.

The module version i installed is the one found on http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=84 under the link 'Download latest version'.

It may also be worth changing line 187 in localib.php of the questionnaire module to
$options= 'menubar=1,location=0,scrollbars,resizable';
or something along these lines anyway so that the menubar is displayed when a new window pops up. Otherwise there's no way of clicking on File->Print, which defeats the purpose of the button in the first place.

Attachment quest-error.jpg

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Zbigniew,
If you are using Questionnaire with Moodle version 1.9 then you must download the 1.9 version of Questionnaire from the Modules and Plugins page, not the latest version! I know this is confusing, but latest version means in fact the version for Moodle HEAD (at the time of speaking this is Moodle 2.0, which is an unreleased version). Well, normally the latest version should be approximately the same as 1.9, but I have not had time to commit the recent changes to 1.9 to 2.0, so that explains.
If you test it on my moodle test site you will see that everything is OK.
As regards the problem of the print window in the navigator, I agree that the menu bar should be displayed, although I'm sure you know it is always possible to print the contents of a menu-less window with right-click and selecting the Print option from the contextual menu. However, following your suggestion I have added the menu bar to the concerned windows. The changes will be available tomorrow morning from the the Modules and Plugins page.
Thanks for your remarks,
Joseph

by Zbigniew Zdziarski -
I can confirm that the changes made have been successful in fixing the IE problem. Many thanks.

As a side comment, I previously mentioned that the print button does not work on my Windows 2003 server machine in IE7. This still holds true but what's interesting is that the module worked for me when i installed the questionnaire version for Moodle 2.0. Not sure why, though.

Thanks once again.

by Joseph Rézeau -

The Questionnaire version for HEAD (at the moment this is Moodle 2.0) is only experimental and not to be used on a production server. It sometimes undergoes massive changes so is not reliable, it's really reserved for testers.

Which Moodle and which Questionnaire versions do you have on your "Windows 2003 server machine in IE7"? If you have the same moodle version as the questionnaire version I really see no reason why the print button should not work if you have updated all the Questionnaire files to the very latest versions.

Joseph

by Zbigniew Zdziarski -
I had the latest version of questionnaire for Moodle 1.9 on my Windows 2003 machine - the same version that is running on WinXP and working fine after the aforementioned bug fixes. I see no reason as to why it doesn't work on Windows 2003 on IE7 either, but that's the way things are with IE unfortunately.