Usability: GSOC: Moodle Usability Guidelines

Usability: GSOC: Moodle Usability Guidelines

by David Horat -
Number of replies: 24
This is the main thread for the Moodle Usability Guidelines project. Feel free to ask here.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Horat

Re: Usability: GSOC: Moodle Usability Guidelines

by Laia Subirats -
I'm interested in applying to this project and I wonder what I should add in the description of the proposal of my project,... The tasks are already defined:
  • Research in the usability world to see which methods are most used and which are most reliable.
  • Select the ones that are more appropiate for Moodle
  • Create a usability guideline with the way to apply these methods for Moodle
  • Try them with real world people (optional, although it would be very interesting)
  • Analyse the results in order to extract conclusions of the current Moodle Usage
  • Report the ways we could improve current Moodle Usability
So I do not know how to make my project description more personalized, interested, and how to integrate my opinion.

In reply to Laia Subirats

by David Horat -
To "integrate" your opinion, I suggest you to discuss it here. I am sure that discussing things in the forum give more points, hehe.

Anyway, to be more personalized I suggest you to:
- Add new ideas (if you have them)
- Investigate on this issue
- Go deep in the way to do it. I mean, the tasks are general ones, then don´t go deep into details. Adding the details and the way you will do everything will definitely help it out.

This project idea is neither closed nor finished, so tasks can change with the help of the people discussing it and we can go even more into details before the GSoC.

Feel free to post your ideas/suggestions/details.
In reply to David Horat

by Laia Subirats -
This I think it is a possible perspective in order to develop this project:

• Research in the usability world to see which methods are most used and which are most reliable: The usability guides that for me are most significant are the ones defined by MIT. There are, however, other recommendations perhaps more official such as the ones by usability.gov. There we can be how several guides that a first glance may be helpful (however a further study is needed to be done because the time is limited and perhaps some of them are more suitable for Moodle than others):
    • Navigation
    • Functionality
    • User control
    • Language and Content
    • Scrolling and paging
    • Links
    • Text appearance
    • Homepage
    • Online Help and User Guides
    • System and User Feedback
    • Web Accessibility (another proposal of GSoC is related to this item, because is required a deployment of a W3C's Tools)
    • Consistency
    • Error Prevention and Correction
    • Architectural and Visual Clarity: this has to do with Architecture information. It would be necessary that some kind of method (for example card sorting open and closed) verifies that the architecture information is valid. For that it would be strongly advisable to implement open and closed card sorting with an open source tool such as cardsword
  • Select the ones that are more appropriate for Moodle:
    • I think that navigation is crucial for Moodle. Sometimes is a little bit messy, or too many clicks are needed.
    • System and user feedback is a think that is also very important, and perhaps is not as studied as other points.
    • Consistency is also very important because can cause much travel to the user
    • Finally, personally i have had many problems while using Moodle with the scrolling, that sometimes is not as usable as it should be.
  • Create a usability guideline with the way to apply these methods for Moodle
    • This guideline should be done following the standards of the pages define above
  • Try them with real world people (optional, although it would be very interesting)
    • I think this phase is really important in order to verify that the requirements are done properly. However, a considerable amount of time should be reserve to this phase. This phase would have the following points:
      • Goals definition
      • Tasks definition
      • Variables that should be measured
      • To which profile of users will make the test
      • Preparation of the test
      • Preparation of the set - up of the test
      • Analysis of the usability test
      • Conclusions of the usability test
  • Analyse the results in order to extract conclusions of the current Moodle Usage
    • This should be done with the conclusions obtained with the usability test.
  • Report the ways we could improve current Moodle Usability
    • This will be the last part.
This is the time plan I estimate:

Research into the usability world
2 weeks
Select the correct funtionalities appriopiate for Moodle
1 week
Create Usability guideline
2 weeks
Try AI with people
2 weeks
Try usability with people
3 weeks
Analyse the results
2 weeks
Report the ways to improve
3 weeks

I would like to mention also that I've been working on usability tests and user interface in general. Last year at university with a group of 5 people we made a development of a site where one could authenticate, download projects, propose projects, upload videos and images and use videostreaming and with thumbnails, post comments, etc. to allow universities and ONGs to share projects. This involved the user interface design. From the URL of my webpage one can visit the studies we made using concepts of IA (Information Architecture), test plan of the paper prototype, test plan for the usability test, and the usability test (unfortunately it is in Spanish)

In reply to David Horat

by Laia Subirats -

Other things that can be used to develop this project is the reuse of some studies that have already been made for example the one developed by JAY MELTON of the Prefectural University of Kumamoto. The article was published in the internationally refereed journal, Language Issues. There, it is defined:

• the methodology (planning and design)
  • the usability evaluation
  • the evaluation
  • the conclusions
  • the references

With this study, this conclusion can be advanced: "Based on observations, comments from the participants, and information provided through the questionnaires, these results can be attributed partially to the level of computer skills of the participants, partially to the Moodle system, and partially to the choice of English as the Moodle system language." So we can expect to obtain this results from our study.

It is important also the availability that Moodle has. Moodle is one of the most adaptable and one of the software that allows more personalization. For that is really important not only to know the tool but also have read the previous studies done or the required references. In this study called "An Evaluation of Open Source E-Learning Platforms Stressing Adaptation Issues by Sabine Graf and Beate List Women’s Postgraduate College of Internet Technologies Vienna University of Technology". A grading of the adaptation capabilities of several open source software is done (we can see that Moodle is the one that has the highest mark) and also the evaluation details and the features that Moodle has to improve or that are most important to be tested. Perhaps see how other open source software are made can help to improve the usability of Moodle.

It is also important to define several type of user profiles in order to test the usability: administrators, users, deaf people (Moodle has developed an audio and other special features to allow handicapped people to use it), perhaps blind people (I don't know if there is any mechanism or compatibility with Braille, I don't think so...),etc.

Moreover, there are several prompts defined in this article which can be valuable:

• Enable quality streaming video of the sign-language interpreter, which can be viewed promptly and without unnecessary waiting time.
  • Make the user interface simple and clear, without a multitude of additional options.
  • Make the user interface as visual as possible without graphically exaggerating it.
  • Keep navigation tools in a particular and clearly-defined position.
  • Avoid unnecessary pop-up windows, since they can confuse users that have just started to work with computers.
  • Simplify the language and explanations used - we advise the use of uncomplicated technical expressions.

I consider that it is also invaluable for the study to apply theoretical concepts of usability such as the famous ones of Nielsen:

• Learnability: How easy is it for users to accomplish basic tasks the first time they encounter the design?
  • Efficiency: Once users have learned the design, how quickly can they perform tasks?
  • Memorability: When users return to the design after a period of not using it, how easily can they re-establish proficiency?
  • Errors: How many errors do users make, how severe are these errors and how easily can they recover from the errors?
  • Satisfaction: How pleasant is it to use the design?
And last but not least, it would also be important to consider the pedagogical aspects of Moodle or a more deep analysis, perhaps in one of the books that are mentioned in the first page of http://moodle.org :D.

I'm not sure if i go to the right direction or not... :D

In reply to David Horat

by Laia Subirats -
Usability of the new features of Moodle:

I think it would be interesting when making the usability study to include also the new features that are being included (perhaps in this GSoC such as Moodle multi site or a Smart LIVE chat) or possible other extensions of Moodle that can improve the usability of Moodle's users.

It may also be useful to this new software because perhaps some improvement can be done before the GSoC finishes (or if the time is too short, to specify the improvements for next year)

It may also detect other features that the Moodle community needs... I do not know if this is not the scope of this usability project, and it is not in the goals of this project,...

by David Horat -
Sure. It will also be interesting to make a Usability Test Guideline for New Features in order to know exactly what to check and how to check it when creating new features.

by Ger Tielemans -

Do not forget to cover the 508 guidelines. A good book to start with for orientation is `Web accessibilty, web standards and regulatory compliance` from Jim Thatcher www.friendsofed.com isbn 1-59059-638-2

There is also a group at OU England working on this subject, contact them.

I would appreciate it very much.

Also related things like, how to make Moodle more compliant with products like Browsealoud, Natural speech, Readplease, Text2Speech, Jaws..

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Louis St-Amour -
In regards to accessibility, also check out Joe Clark's work. A fellow Torontonian, he wrote and released a book on accessibility for free, at http://joeclark.org/book/

And while I don't know if I want to work full-time on such a project, I definitely wouldn't mind helping out somehow. Right now I've my eyes set on the new Theme project, but I'm quite interested in usability as well, particularly practical suggestions and implementations for testing purposes.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This thread: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=93188 in the General Developers Forum (GDF) may be worth reading.

Also, I would advise anyone interested in GSOC to start reading GDF, and if there is another forum relevant to the project, that too, to get a feel for what is going on.
In reply to David Horat

by Greg Hayden -
I'm interested in working with this project. I have had an interesting perspective on Moodle as an admin, teacher and student. The college I attend runs moodle and is migrating form webct. The college is very big into figuring out the usability of products as it is a college for LDs. I have been doing a bit of my own research and seeing what people think of different parts. I do talk with the student technology poeple and I might be able to see what users think. I also have a few other places and ways to test usability.

In reply to Greg Hayden

by David Horat -
Sure. You are free to start the project and post ideas and suggestions whenever you want. And you are free to apply to the GSoC (if this project is selected as so) when it starts.
In reply to David Horat

by Laia Subirats -
I also think that it would be useful not only to write the guidelines but also to code a software that could help to check the usability of a development automatically and give the rate of usability automatically.

For example in the market we can see software such as:
  • Morae which is available only in Windows
  • ErgoLight: Comprehensive GUI quality solutions for the professional Windows application developer. ErgoLight offers solutions for developers of Windows applications for testing and evaluating their usability.
  • Bobby: Bobby is a web-based public service offered by CAST that analyzes web pages for their accessibility to people with disabilities as well as their compatibility with various browsers.
  • Another list of usability software can be seen here
So as I see this project would not only include the usability analysis but also the development of a software which can:
  • check the usability guidelines described in the first analysis
  • analyze that the web pages for their accessibility to people with disabilities as well as their compatibility with various browsers as Bobby does
  • give a list of statistics where we can see the result of the usability of the page.
Perhaps the parsing of the pages can be done with this parser or perhaps a PHP parser
What do you think about this idea?

by Ger Tielemans -

I think that you must consider in which direction you want to go:

1. A general guidelines project
  2. Moodle (metaphor) specific guidelines

To zoom in on the last one:

• Moodle has for the enduser several main screens (frontpage, catalog, my page, course mainpage, personal profile page)
  • my page, front page and course main page are more family then the others..
    • they have three columns
    • the main activity is in the center column
    • on the left and the right you can place supporting activities
    • on school level you can force blocks with sticky blocks
    • on course level you can `advise/prompt` additional blocks (in the config.php file) which teachers can overrule
    • on the my page you can decide which blocks user are allowed to add to their sticky block start set on these pages.
    • there is a new patch that allows me to place also blocks in the center column. Does that help or is it only confusing..

What is wisdom, what helps the poor user with so many choices. I think neither of your global tools can help on this design level.

In reply to David Horat

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hmm, we all want to improve usability but I don't think this is constrained enough to be a "usable" GSOC project, David.

Firstly, there is not ever going to be a definite product (usability is a very personal issue with many different types of uses, users and opinions).

Secondly, Moodle sites can make a lot of config choices that really affect how Moodle appears to end users.

Thirdly, usability is tied to many other factors such as architecture, themes, browsers, developers, accessibility, legacy support etc.

So I would recommend re-framing this project in one of two ways:

1) Usability improvement recommendations: research tracker and forums etc to develop a "hitlist" of the top 10 (or 20) specific usability issues. For each issue, identify the problem clearly (screenshots) and clearly describe one or more solutions (incl mock screenshots) for the community to evaluate.

2) Tackle the interface of something specific such as "Roles" or "Database" or "Navigation" and analyse the whole issue in depth, producing code/screenshots for the community to evaluate.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Regarding solutions, it would be best to work closely with http://fluidproject.org/ (who we are involved with already) to see where some of their components can be used in Moodle.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by David Horat -
Ok, I will rewrite the wiki project definition according to these ideas.

I think this is a more practical approach and would help better the Moodle community.
In reply to David Horat

by David Horat -
In reply to David Horat

by Jubin Chheda -
Seems like lots of discussion has been happening here.

I am currently pursuing my master's at the Dept of Computer Science at the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. I am currently on the last leg of the program.

My year-long thesis has been on implementing ideas for mobile learning: learning over mobile phones. For the next 2-3 months, I plan to provide J2ME, SMS support to mobile clients so that they can connect with moodle. This would involve a great number of usability issues.

Just came across GSoC and looks like a great platform. Was wondering if you could let me know if this could be an interesting GSoC idea and if you know someone who can mentor me.

I can do most of the design and coding work, but would be great to have a pro guide me, along.
In reply to David Horat

by Carlos Mauro Cardenas Fernandez -
GSOC: Moodle Usability Guidelines

Hi my name is Carlos Mauro Cardenas Fernandez. I am studing system engineering in the UNI Lima Peru. I know C,java, python and gtk. I'm develop my thesis about the usability software and I want to join in the project and help with 'Moodle Usability Guidelines'. I know the theory about usability and test usability for children. In my university used this for a first test for the proposal and aprobe the evaluation. My proposal is about the SUGAR desktop usability into OLPC.

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup
http://www.betterdesktop.org/wiki/index.php?title=Data
http://season.openusability.org/index.php/projects/2008
http://www.usability.gov/

I explore the Web user interface of my country as www.bn.com. And my thesis project managers work with teachers educational portals for schools.

I think we can make a collection of errors and problems in general use moddle (activities, user administration, all) then to make a classification. And finish doing some usability test to measure the number of errors sorted by relevance

Drawing on some items Nielsen or Joe Clark's. All the data available to support the assessment

Well I am concerned in this project. Begin could my proposal for the project?

In reply to Carlos Mauro Cardenas Fernandez

by David Horat -
Begin could my proposal for the project?

If you mean whether you can start the proposal of the project for the Google Summer of Code, sure you can, but be fast because tomorrow is the deadline for student´s applications.

Just one suggestion: try to correct your English grammar mistakes before sending your application.

Good luck. smile
In reply to David Horat

by Carlos Mauro Cardenas Fernandez -
HI
I have nerves.
I hope we can learn from this tournament. Finally the issue of usability is precisely the quera a new approach to the entire Web
In reply to David Horat

by Olli Savolainen -
I am very interested in what happens in this GSoC project, and I will also be willing to discuss/cooperate, since the goals of this project are similar to those of mine, though my project (see: Simpler Quiz UI and the blog) is more specific. Several usability issues I have found may be common with other parts of Moodle, too.

I am also working in a Summer [of] Code project, but a local one, sponsored by Nokia, Google and others. Tim Hunt, the Quiz maintainer, is my contact person for this project.
In reply to David Horat

Re: GSOC: Moodle Usability?

by Felipe Dário Santos -
I'm studying Interaction Design at PucMinas / Brazil and for the final work for the specialization course, I gonna evaluate the usability at Moodle. For this, we are going to apply user test and other usability methods. Is there any study ate this subject?

I'll need help to decide with who tests? And what to test? What are the function more used?
Thanks,