GSOC: Moodle IDE

GSOC: Moodle IDE

by David Horat -
Number of replies: 9
This is the main thread for the Moodle IDE project. Feel free to ask here.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Horat

Re: GSOC: Moodle IDE

by Laia Subirats -
"Every X time, it checks for new versions of Moodle and packs it." This cannot be done with subversion? The purpose to implement that is because the code is stored in a server? What about if there are several versions of Moodle made at the same time? Can be reuse any source code to develop that funcionality?

Thanks in advance.
In reply to Laia Subirats

by David Horat -
This cannot be done with subversion?
Yes, with Subversion and CVS you can do triggers. But I don´t want to make a new version everytime a file changes because it will probably overload the server. Instead, we can build a new Moodle IDE every 24 hours for example.

The purpose to implement that is because the code is stored in a server?
Yes. Not everyone has a good server connection. Plus downloading the whole Moodle system from a CVS can be quite painful, so I think it is better to pack it all together. smile

What about if there are several versions of Moodle made at the same time?
Of course there will be several versions of Moodle at the same time. At first, the script to pack the Moodle IDE should be configurable to know where to take the code. At first I was thinking about having two versions: latest stable version and latest CVS version.

Can be reuse any source code to develop that funcionality?
Of course you can reuse and improve the code you want. That´s the fun of Open Source!
In reply to David Horat

by Rajan Vaish -
Hello,
While browsing by the ideas on MOODLE's webpage for GSoC 2008.I got this idea which i would like to share .I plan to develop a Wizard which will automate AJAX based functionality like the one used in Google Suggest at the same time mimic as Form Builder and many more (wherever AJAX plays its role).
Here is present a Case to explain my concept :
Say a naive developer has to develop a Library Management System for a College.Developer starts with building the Login system which involves Login form,Registration form,Forgot Password etc.Since the Library is meant to be used only by students of that college,so all the names/ids of students are already in the database of the college.Now the developer has to simply start the Wizard for Login System chosen from the drop down menu like the one for Login System .Developer chooses to build the Login page first using the form builder and when it comes to the Textbox for Login ID, the Developer sets the path to the database for the students who are registered for using the Library System and sets that field to the AJAX Tag or something like that which sets the Field to the AJAX functionality and without typing a single line of code the Google suggest type functionality is set to the Login Page's Login ID field . the code will be something like this http://w3schools.com/ajax/ajax_source.asp .So a naive developer made AJAX enabled Login system without writing single line of code.
Certain other functionalities for which AJAX is used will b simply implemented using the same technique , While learning AJAX i have made samples for almost all AJAX functionalities with PHP page .so the source code is with me and will help me building this application.The Wizard can set its analogy to the type of wizards used in VS.net and VWD , which have helped building applications so much faster and easier.
I hope this project will help developing applications very fast even for naive developers.The classes being general can be used to make libraries in future and help build other systems.
Thank you for reading .
Rajan Vaish
Computer Science Major
India
IRC : vaish
GTALK IM : vaish.rajan@gmail.com
In reply to David Horat

by Laia Subirats -
Here there is a link with several checkstyle plugins developped for some opensource applications: CheckstylePlugin . Code from Eclipse's ckeckstyle plugin can be reused(it's Java and it's easy to understand)

I wonder in which language the script should be made (I suppose that in the cron file there will be defined for example a perl script which create a new version of Moodle). So I assume that most of the code will be done in Perl?

I do not understand yet how the Moodle IDE will be able to know which part of code to take of each version to make it consistent. For example in Subversion we have the root - branches - review scheme. Here will we have this scheme?\Documents and Settings\Administrador\Escritorio\3D.JPEG
Attachment 3D.jpg

by ankuj gupta -
Hi
I tried downloading the current Moodle IDE .But one thing still confuses me why is it using jre even when moodle is based in php as it required jre within its folder. One difference that i could spot was that it supported php.Also what was the use of xampp (besides for running apache ,mysql server) folder within the IDE zip as even after deleting it IDE was running well. also what is the difference if one uses xampp server that did not came bundled with it.
These questions might be trivial but i was confused about it

Thanks
Ankuj Gupta
Computer Science Major
NSIT(Formerly DIT)

In reply to ankuj gupta

by David Horat -
But one thing still confuses me why is it using jre even when moodle is based in php as it required jre within its folder.

Moodle IDE is based en Eclipse. Eclipse is in Java, thus it requires Java Runtime Environment (JRE). If you have already Java JRE installed in your computer and in the PATH variable, you don´t need it within Moodle IDE. Actually I would like to have two versions: one bundled with the JRE and one not.

what was the use of xampp (besides for running apache ,mysql server)

None, exactly that one.

what is the difference if one uses xampp server that did not came bundled with it.

Moodle IDE is configured with an Eclipse plugin to use the XAMPP server bundled in the pack out-of-the-box. If you use another, just change the configuration of the XAMPP plugin in Eclipse´s preferences.

by David Horat -
Hi Laia.

Checkstyle is exactly what we will used with Eclipse to follow Moodle Guidelines while developming and it should be used by the main developers when going to checkin new code. But I was not thinking about using it as a trigger when checkin in code and depending on the result allow it or not.

About which version to use. The latest code in the CVS is tagged by "HEAD" and the latest stable version of Moodle 1.9.X is tagged directly as "MOODLE_19". So we already have the HEAD and for each new moodle version we will need to define it in a concrete file manually. This change it will have to be made maximum twice a year, because we don´t have so many new versions.