How do you create an anonymous forum?

How do you create an anonymous forum?

by Shirley Reushle -
Number of replies: 6

I like to include a forum in my online courses called "Feedback on the course" where students can post their comments anonymously (ie their names do not appear beside the post). Can this be done in Moodle?

Thanks

Shirley

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Shirley Reushle

Re: How do you create an anonymous forum?

by James Phillips -
You will need this. It overwrites the original forum module, works with 1.8, but has not been extensively tested on 1.9. I have tried it on 1.9 though and it does seem to work but I have not yet tested it extensively.

Best regards,

James

by Scott Bartley -
Can't you just give Guest permission to post? Then just have them sign in as Guest. If that doesn't work, why not create a user "Anonymouns Forum User" and give the password to all of the students.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Scott Bartley

by Leigh Melander -
Ooh, ooh, I think building this into Moodle would be really helpful, oh most esteemed Moodle developers!

We use Moodle for adult learners -- getting people to complete assessments is not easy in the best of circumstances (remember the old days of sitting in your college classroom with those assessment forms, being held captive until you finished?), and while Scott's quick fix solutions are great ideas, I fear that they are another layer that will cause people to avoid doing it.

Many of our students are just on the inside of being comfortable enough with the technology to brave learning online -- asking them to log in differently than they have been will send many of them into angst, and they won't do it.

We haven't yet upgraded to 1.8, but when we do, I'll try the forum overwrite that James suggested.

Sure would be convenient to have this transparently built into the system! Best practices and all that...

Thanks.

Best,
Leigh

by Jason Meinzer -
This has been a feature request since 2005:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-1071

As an alternative to the HSU forum enhancements for 1.8.2 I have posted a patch against 1.9 (might work on 1.8 as well) to the above tracker page that adds this feature.

When creating a forum, you can now specify if posts should be anonymous, not anonymous, or optionally anonymous. In the latter case, users are presented with a checkbox that they can tick if they want their post to be anonymous.

Anonymous posts get hidden from the post history on the user's profile, and are anonymized in emails, the recent activity block, and recent activity full report. Anonymized posts are attributed to the name specified in $CFG->anonymous_name (e.g. 'Anonymous Student'), with current_theme()/pix/anonymous.png used as their picture.

I hope that this patch is accepted into 2.0 but until then your sysadmin should be able to apply it and make the necessary database adjustments.
In reply to Jason Meinzer

by May Nightsage -
Thank you for doing this. I also need to have anonymous posting for the Moodle client I am working on. I made some small hacks where usernames are displayed instead of firstname/lastname on participants page, but this sounds much better!

by Greg Jeffrey -

Personally I use the 'feedback' module for this kind of thing and that does have an anonymous option. 

What did you think of the course?  Scale 1to10 
What do you think of the presenter?  Scale Rubbish to Genius
etc etc etc
And a couple of general text boxes for any 'other comments'.

Not only gives me the info but in a statistical format too.

Greg 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)