What is the ideal power point slide arrangement

What is the ideal power point slide arrangement

by Timothy Takemoto -
Number of replies: 13

I use powerpoint with notes and images in most of my lectures but I still don't know how to arrange the notes and images.

I feel like I need two powerpoint slide files, one with the notes, and another with the images because I can't seem to group images with sets of notes.

Here is a typical powerpoint presentation to illustrate the difficulty.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: What is the ideal power point slide arrangement

by Alexandre Enkerli -
I hesitate to reply, in part because I'm no expert but also because these things tend to be idiosyncratic.
My preference would be to present notes and images sequentially. The fact that notes aren't group doesn't seem that consequential, depending on your use of those slides (i.e., during presentation). Alternatively, you can present the image alone and then a thumbnail of the image with notes on the side.
But maybe I don't understand how you present those slides...
In reply to Alexandre Enkerli

by Timothy Takemoto -

Sometimes I just present a whole lot of slides sequentially but then the structure tends to get lost.

But I like "you can present the image alone and then a thumbnail of the image with notes on the side."

Perhaps I will try that.

by Jody Rentfro -

I have a suggestion for presenting the image with the notes.

You could use the database module or the glossary module to present the full size image and all of the text.

Build the database or glossary, place the large size picture in the file, and have the notes open directly under the full size image. Thus, each page of the PowerPoint is a different entry in the database or the glossary.

The notes, text on each slide and pictures are grouped as a single entry.

In reply to Jody Rentfro

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Jody

Thank you. The idea of using Moodle as a powerpoint alternative is a very good one. I had not thought of it, or at least I had let that idea slip my mind.

A while ago one of the programmers of the new wiki module (from Spain) introduced me to an add-in for the new wiki module that allowed the wiki pages to be displayed sequentially as a presentation. I have never used that idea, and I had forgotten about it until you made your excellent suggestion.

At the same time, using a glossary (I am not very familiar with the database module) would result in a sequential presentation of the material, with one heading and one picture per page. I can do that using powerpoint, as noted above, but that looses the structure of the body of knowledge that one is trying to teach.

One of the advantages of a Moodle based, or Net based presentations is that it would be easy to have *links* to the images that supports the note headings.

This can be achieved using a Powerpoint file too, such as this.

It is rather neat. This presentation shows the grouped headings, and allows each to be illustrated with a click from that heading. But I don't know how to go back to the group of notes (the summary). The back arrow on the keyboard goes to the "previous slide" and not to where one has just come from. Do you see what I mean? If I push the back arrow key it takes me to the slide immediately above the one I have link-jumped to, and not to the place where I link-jumped from.

If I were to use a net based presentation, NOT Powerpoint, then the back button in a browser would take me back to the summary, where I linked from, and not to the "previous slide."

Is there way of jumping back to the place that one has just linked from, rather than to the immediately preceding slide, using powerpoint?

Aha - yes? if I display the powerpoint file in a browser, because then I have a back button too I can jump back to where I camer from. Aha - NO! the browser back button when used on an online powerpoint file always take me back to the  first slide in the online powerpoint file, an not to the place I have linked-jumped from.

I doubt I am making myself at all clear.

But anyway, Jody, thank you. Moodle, or an internet based presentation solution, may be a better way of presenting than powerpoint.

Tim

by Timothy Takemoto -

Thanks to Judy, the powerpoint file linked above (and here), is looking good.  

It has structure, this structure... (where headings in bold are the headings of slides, and underlining signifies links to the image holding slides)

The first notes page
  Note this, the first point of slide 1 (1)
  And this second point of slide 1 (2)
  And this third point of slide 1 (3)
The second notes page
  Note this, the first point of slide 2 (1)
  And this second point of slide 2 (2)
  And this third point of slide 2 (3)
The first point of slide 1
The second point of slide 1
The third point of slide 1
The first point of slide 2
The second point of slide 2
The third point of slide 2

This would work but for the fact that I am not sure how to get back to the place I have just jumped from. For instance, if I am on slide 2, and click the link on the first point of slide 2 to go to (the slide holding an image illustrating this first point of slide 2) "The first point of slide 2," then I am not sure how, using powerpoint, I can return to the place I have just come from. Taking the same instance, if I am on slide 2 and click the link on the first point of slide 2 to jump to "The first point of slide 2" then once I am there, the back arrow key will take me to "The third point of slide 1" rather than back to "The second notes page"

Is there a way of jumping back to the place which one has jumped from using powerpoint? It is not the back arrow key. Ctrl Z does not take me back either.

Tim

by Chris Swinney -
You can add an object (picture, shape etc), then assign an Action to it to so that the Hyperlink is set to the last viewed slide. Would attach but file limit exceeded

by Russell Waldron -
On http://www.boxesandarrows.com/view/interactive there is an explanation with this illustration:
How to create a Back button
In reply to Russell Waldron

by Timothy Takemoto -

Wha, cool! So I could click to the illustration, and then click back to the last slide viewed! This could be the answer to all my powerpoint problems.

I can also make the "back button" the size of the slide and transparent, so all I need to do is click anywhere on the illustration slides to return to the summary.
This is the demo, now with page-covering back-button links. (I have added a downward wipe slide tranisition for good measure)

Thank very much Chris, Russell and everyone in the Lounge.

If anyone has any more suggestions, I am all ears. Particularly it would be nice not to have to use the mouse *pointer*. Clicking is okay, but clicking ON something means that I have to point. Alas, the Actions on mouse click do not seem to allow "action on second mouse click", so the second action must be achieved by moving the pointer. Unless I can find and become profficient with a wireless trackball, that I have to return to the lecturn, rather than simply hold a wireless mouse, and just click, click, click.  

Thanks again,

Tim

by Russell Waldron -
If your sequence is predictable enough, try Slideshow > Custom show.
You can set up a sequence of slides, including repeats of specific slides.

Cheers

Russell

by Timothy Takemoto -

Thanks again Russel

All these functions that I was unaware of.

My excuse is that my powerpoint is in Japanese. The Japanese for "Custom Show" is  "slideshow depending upon objective."

Does anyone use two projectors and two power point presentations at once? Somehow I think that may be the future. But maybe not.

Tim

by Russell Waldron -
Oh, definitely. You need a mouse/presenter in each hand and a bit of practice with your presentation.

If you want the two to be perfectly synchronised instead of independent, plug in a USB-VGA adapter to give you an extra video output, tell your OS that you have an extended desktop, redefine your slide size to cover both screens... and build the presentation as a single slide-show.

Umm, need I say that this is dependent on hardware compatibility and drivers so experimentation is required? (I cannot show you a screenshot because I haven't found screencapture software that will grab both sides of an extended desktop.)

Cheers Cheers

Russell Russell

by Timothy Takemoto -
That is a very interesting idea too. Thank you Russell.
I did not know that USB to VGA adapters existed and presumed that I could only attach one pc to one projector.