Thesis on Implementing a LMS on a Hotel

Thesis on Implementing a LMS on a Hotel

by Benson Lim -
Number of replies: 5

Hi!

I am a graduate student from the Philippines and my thesis is basically on implementing a LMS on a hotel.  I am leaning towards adopting Moodle but first, I just have a few questions to ask from the community.

1)  Is moodle a LMS?  I have done some research and encountered a couple of articles which include moodle as a LMS.  However, the definition on the main page states that it's a course management system.  Can someone please enlighten me on this? 

2)  Does moodle have a skills and competency tracking module?  Additionally, does it also have a certification module?

Thanks and kind regards!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Benson Lim

Re: Thesis on Implementing a LMS on a Hotel

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
1) The different people use the terms 'Learning Management System', ' Virtual Learning Environment' and 'Course Management System' for what Moodle does. They are all basically the same.

2) In Moodle 1.9, the latest version, the gradebook can track attainment against different Learning Outcomes/Rubricks/Competancies - another situation where lots of different words are used for basically the same thing.

There is a certificate module, available as a plugin.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Benson Lim -

Thanks for the reply Tim.  The reason why I asked item no. 1 is because I might have to defend this to my panel.  I am assuming that they might question why I'm claiming it as a learning management system.  Nonetheless, some experts like Brandon Hall have categorized it as a LMS too. 

Re: Item no. 2.  Is there a tutorial on the new feature of the gradebook that tracks attainment against different learning outcomes?  Lastly, is there also a tutorial or guide on how to install the certificate plugin into moodle? 

Thanks a lot smile

In reply to Benson Lim

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Note that we don't actually have a skills tracking component YET. What we do have is a way to link assessment to skills (outcomes), so that users can get a grade from teachers on a scale linked to an outcome in one particular course.

This needs to be extended so that we can also link outcomes and desired skill level to each user, so that we can see for each user what they have attained and what they haven't yet.

This would make a nice GSOC project actually.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Competency mapping linking assessment to skills

by Tam Mason -
I'd be really interested to know if this has been followed up at all - any ideas if it has?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by A. T. Wyatt -
Hear, Hear! I am all for getting tracking. Hope it is in the GSOC list of projects.

atw