Topic Format for Course

Topic Format for Course

by Karen Marshall -
Number of replies: 13

Is there a way to actually title the Topics when you choose the Topic Format for a course? 

The hidden sections option says that you can display the title as a collapsed section or just simply hide the topic altogether.  Right now I have it collapsed but all you can see is a number for the topic.  I would like the students to be able to see the upcoming topic titles, but I'm not sure where you would actually title the topic.

Thanks

Karen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Karen Marshall

Re: Topic Format for Course

by John Ryan -
Karen,

To add a title to a topic simply turn editing on.

With editing on you should see at the top of each box a little icon (a hand holding a pencil usually).

Clicking this takes you to an editor. Type in your topic header and Save.

Good luck.
In reply to John Ryan

by Karen Marshall -

Hi John,

I'm sorry but I must be missing something -

First, I chose Topics as my format for my course, I have editing turned on and when I click on the hand with a pencil, it takes me to the Summary area.  I don't see anywhere in there where I can enter a title for the topic.  It is an area to summarize the topic.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Karen

by Steve Power -

Karen

I don't think you are missing anything. It is just a mix up in terminology.

The Topic Summary box will display as the title (unless of course you make it very long in which an abbreviated version is used.

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Karen!

You are not missing anything. Perhaps it is that the terminology is not that clear! The topic summary IS the title of the topic. If you use a block such as the course menu block, the title you put into the topic summary becomes a link in the course menu as well (so it is well to keep those titles short!). If you DON'T use a block that builds a menu, you will still see the text you entered in the topic summary as part of the "jump" menu when you collapse the topics.

See screenshot below.
atw

edit: Sorry, Steve! I know you answered this, but I spent so much time making the screen shot that I thought I would go ahead and leave it!
Attachment topic_summary.gif
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Karen Marshall -

Thanks so much for the info - but what I want to do is actually create a Title for the Topic, so when I choose "Hidden Sections are Shown in Collapsed View," (in the course settings) the student will see only the title of the Topic.

When I hide topics from the students, it says Not Available.  That's where I would like to give the students a preview to the future Topics that will be discussed.

I hope I explained this better -

Thanks again

Karen

by A. T. Wyatt -
I, myself, do not know how to do what you are asking. Except to hide every individual item in a topic but leave the topic itself unhidden. In one of my courses, that would be a lot of trouble!

Sorry!
atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by debbie wombwell -

Hi
I wonder if you can help?
My 'Jump to' sections are not the same as that in the course menu block, the titles have errors etc! Do you know why this is?  and is there an option to change this or delete the 'jump to' option altogether?

In reply to debbie wombwell

by A. T. Wyatt -
I do not know how to delete the "jump to" dropdown box. I would suggest that you try deleting and retyping a couple of your topic summaries and see if the problem is corrected. I am wondering if you have some kind of html in there that is causing a problem?

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Vicke Denniston -
Picture of Testers
I am having the opposite problem, I do not have the "jump to" box and can't figure out where it is/how to get it. I am running 1.9
Thanks
In reply to Vicke Denniston

by A. T. Wyatt -
It only appears when the topics are collapsed. Did you collapse them?

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Vicke Denniston -
Picture of Testers
I just went in to try it, but to accomplish all of what I need, I starting with 5 topics, building all of the activities in topics 2-5, and a set of links in topic 1 that connect to the activities, then resetting the course to 1 topic.
So it doesn't seem to matter if the topics are collapsed or not since they are not visible at all.
Thanks
In reply to Vicke Denniston

by john felix -
To make the topic heading visible and the contents invisible. u can actually show the entire topic and hide the individual contents. in that way only the topic heading and its summary will be visible...
In reply to john felix

by fredimar de borja -
to delete jump to menu just delete this code at the header html " <div class="headermenu"><?php echo $menu ?></div>" and the it's gone.....