Roles and permissions

Novice needs help! Administrator can't take a quiz

Picture of Cheryl Young
Novice needs help! Administrator can't take a quiz

Dear all,

Since you were all so helpful with my last question, I'm going to post another question here smile

I have version 1.8.3.

An administrator just complained to me that she can't take a quiz in a certain course. (She is a system-wide administrator.) I logged in to the moodle with her username and password, and she's right - she can preview the quiz but she can't attempt it.

What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance!!!

Cheryl

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Jay Melton
Re: Novice needs help! Administrator can't take a quiz

Hi Cheryl,

As administrator (or teacher) you can use the Preview to test out how the quiz runs. You should also be able to edit questions from that screen. The Preview was designed to give us a way to test-drive the quiz without having to log in as a student. Is there something more you want to do?

Jay

Picture of John Isner

It is the same solution as when enabling Teacher to attempt a quiz, as described in this discussion, except you override the Admin role. Be sure to do the override in the specific quiz context (that was implied but not explicitly stated in the other discussion). In this case, the Administrator will have to do the override, since Teacher cannot normally override Admin.

Picture of Cheryl Young

Dear John,

Thanks for the tip! I did the override for the administrator, and she can now take the quiz. However, her grade does not show up in the list of grades for the course.

What gives?

Thanks again!!!

Cheryl

Picture of John Isner

Good question. There's probably some assumption in quiz or the gradebook about the admin's grades never being stored in the gradebook. You could keep tweaking roles until you get this to work, but frankly, I think you're fighting an uphill battle. Maybe your administrator should have a second account that she uses for taking quizzes. Assign the user the role of Student in the course.

Picture of Cheryl Young

Hi John,

Sounds like a good suggestion (adding a second account).

Thanks!!!

Cheryl

Picture of Helen Foster
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators
Hi Cheryl,

To make administrators' grades appear in the gradebook, click the administrator role checkbox in the gradebookroles setting in Administration > Appearance > Gradebook.

(For anyone using Moodle 1.9 onwards, this setting can be found in Administration > Grades > General settings.)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Tiffany oakes

I changed those settings and my grade still won't show. What can I do to get it to show? People talk about changing roles-I don't see that function. Where would I do that?

paula

Cheryl,

I have found that by adding the administrator and the teacher as students in the class also you can get the grade to show up.  They have to use the "switch roles" button at the top of the class and switch to student role when taking the quiz.  Then their scores will show up in the grade book.

It would work for a short term fix.  Adjusting the roles would be a long term fix.

Paula Clough cool