Quiz with Custom Scale?

Quiz with Custom Scale?

by Joshua De la Vega -
Number of replies: 4
I have searched, looked at the code and spent several hours trying to find out how to implement a custom-scale grading option on a quiz activity. I'm using Moodle 1.9 which lets you create custom scales and use them toward assignments, forums and journal grading, but will not allow the quiz activity to do this. We wish to grade using a satisfactory scale and not the numeric grading scale.

Is it feasible to modify the mod/quiz/ code and add the capability of choosing a custom scale when setting up a quiz? Just like the assignments mod. allows you to? I think the ramifications to this could impact how the application will work when pushing grades to Gradebook but am not sure.

I was hoping someone could give me some insight as to how to go about doing this.

Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joshua De la Vega

Re: Quiz with Custom Scale?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm afraid this is not currently possible. It might be a good thing to implement one day, but I can't see myself having any time to work on it any time soon.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joshua De la Vega -
Tim, thanks for your time and input. What would the implications be if I wanted to do this on my end with my Moodle setup? Could the code be modified to accommodate for a custom quiz grading scale? Or is it a site-wide modular change?

I have seen a plausible alternative would be to use the Grade Boundaries on the overall feedback option for each quiz, but that still depends on a numeric scale and is not a global option. I'm also looking into using Outcomes as another option.

What would you suggest?
In reply to Joshua De la Vega

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well we would need to know more details about what exactly you are trying to do from an educational point of view.

Do you want to grade each individual question on a scale - if so, how do you want it aggregated - or is it just the final score? If the latter, you might also want to look at the grade letter settins in the grade book.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joshua De la Vega -

Using the grade boundaries and changing the letters for a satisfactory scale in the grade letter settings works as a great workaround for what we are looking for.

Thanks for your help.