How bad is it if I don't use the cron service?

How bad is it if I don't use the cron service?

by Kim Gilmer -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I am a newbie to moodle. I have installed it on our web server and am experimenting with it to see how it works. I am using version 1.8.4+ (2007021541). Here’s my question:

What does the cron service do? I know that it sends out an email to people who have subscribed to forums. But is there a more exhaustive list? I don’t think our web hosting company wants to set up the cron job and I am wondering what stuff we’ll miss out on and whether it’s essential stuff.

Thanks in advance,

Kim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kim Gilmer

Re: How bad is it if I don't use the cron service?

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Kim - It's a bit like not cleaning your bathroom or brushing your teeth. There are just certain things that should be done. Minimally, on a site that is not that active, I would run it daily. If the site is more active then I would say run cron hourly. Your host does not have to setup the cron service. You can set your own computer up to periodically run the /admin/cron.php file. What operating system are you using? You could set up a cron job on your own machine that would take care of it. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Re: How bad is it if I don't use the cron service?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
With 8 people sharing the bathroom things can get a bit crufty quickly. On my quiet site I run the chron thing when I think of it which can mean gaps of several weeks. My main reason for running it at all is that it unenrolls people from courses and so I can see how active my userbase has been. There used to be several free web based chron services, or alternatively some very modestly priced web based chron services.