back up & restore user accounts

back up & restore user accounts

by jobe jobe -
Number of replies: 4
I'm moving server & would like to do a fresh install of the latest version, including a fresh database. I have downloaded the courses but would also to download the user accounts so everyone doesn't have to re-register. Any ideas how to do this?

Or maybe the user accounts go with the course backups?
I'm on 1.8.2 & want to go to 1.9.
Or maybe I should just go with using the old database?

Or how would backing up mdl_user.sql & importing it again work? Would that have all the information - names, passwords etc?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to jobe jobe

Re: back up & restore user accounts

by Andy Tagliani -
Make a new course call it like home office or community and enrol all users as student in this course. If you switch to a new server and or a new moodle version, install this course as the frist one and tell him, restore with all users. Before - configure your roles you already have in your old moodle.

andy
In reply to Andy Tagliani

by Mark Pearson -
This is a great idea Andy. Does this preserve passwords too?
Presumably the roles would need to be configured by hand.
Since I start every year with a new Moodle version and fresh database (too many hassles otherwise) I have ended up reloading all my users with batch upload of users, but this technique is excellent.

Mark
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Andy Tagliani -
Mark - everything! Loginname, password, description and the personal settings like mail from forum etc.

The only thing is not saved (when i remeber right), when u have a site policy, here must the user follow against the site policy.

Sometimes, when we or our customers want to have a clean system (database) by the great moodle installations we host, our server team copy the backupfiles (some have near 1 GigaByte) in seconds from one server (or moodle) to another server. We never had any problem. It is more work for us, yes - but we have a clean system! On this way, we can test the new installation if everything works fine.

Andy
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Lamissa Sanogo -
Hello,

May be the solution is already posted somewhere.

Here is the problem: I did not have moodle backup and when the server does crash, I reintall mysql* . and I still have all old courses in moodle folder and moodledata folder but not users account

how can I find old users accounts please help....!!!!