getting voice responses from students?

getting voice responses from students?

by Jack Drolet -
Number of replies: 2
I'm wondering if there's any way to get audio responses from students in a hp quiz or other activity.

I suppose it would be possible to embed an online voice recorder into part of the activity, like Evoca, and then the student's response would be sent externally to the teacher's account. One problem with that is that in a quiz or any other activity, the student still has to answer a question of some kind.

HP doesn't have any place where students can upload a file, does it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jack Drolet

Re: getting voice responses from students?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Jack,
it's an exciting thought to be able to accept and store students' spoken responses. However, it is not possible with Hot Potatoes or the HotPot module ... yet.

The new HotPot module will be much more capable of administering other kinds of online activities - not only Hot Potatoes, so if there is some software for creating and playing audio quizzes such as those you describe, it would certainly be worthwhile considering how the audio results could be stored in Moodle using the new HotPot module.

Personally I would love to be able to make quizzes where the student's get an audio stimulus and give a verbal response which the computer can analyze and assess to what extent the response was appropriate. I have seen such exercises in commercial products, but not yet in the open source world.

In the past I have tried having students record an mp3 on their machines and upload that as a Resource, but it required a lot of bandwidth and disk space to upload and store all the MP3 files, and it was quite laborious having to listen to them all one by one. I don't use that system any more.

There is some information in the Moodle Docs about Speech Tools which might be relevant to this discussion.

regards
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

Re: getting voice responses from students?

by Jack Drolet -
Thanks Gordon -

It would be great to see some voice tools integrated with Hot Potatoes.

I'm thinking about a pronunciation workshop for ESL students. I think that I'll use Hot Potatoes to make Matching activities and quizzes that ask students to identify certain sounds in English, and then use the Masher to create web pages that contain an online voice recorder which asks students to create sound files relevant to the exercises. So students will first be asked to identify, and then produce, certain sound patterns in English.

I guess for me, the most exciting thing (in the world) would be a Hot Potatoes activity that elicits an audio response from a student.