Could not add a new instance of widget

Could not add a new instance of widget

by Tony G. O'Byrne -
Number of replies: 7
Hi all!

I'm having trouble creating the most basic of mods - a simple form to take in a single value - 'name'.  When I click on 'contiue', I get the above error.  ("Could not add a new instance of widget".)

I've had this problem for some time now.  A brief history:

I installed Moodle without hassle on my home computer running SuSE 9.0, Apache 1.3, and MySQL.  I don't recall any trouble with creating new instances of my simple mod on my home computer, but it's been quite some time since I used moodle at home, so I may not have gotten around to actually creating the mod.

I am now developing a new module for my university (DCU), and I want to start off creating this simple mod that just asks for a string of text.  But when I click on the 'continue' link, I get the error.

Has anyone come across this before?  If so, how did you fix it?  I've had fellow developers have a look at it, but they couldn't help. sad  One of these, suggested it may have been my moodle installation.  My boss suggested that I start anew with a clean slate, which I was thinking of doing myself.  So, after doing all that, I still get the error! sad

Any help would be much appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tony G. O'Byrne

Re: Could not add a new instance of widget

by jonathan Mc Namee -

If you look at the tables for any of the other modules [eg mdl_chat or mdl_forum etc] you'll see that they all have an id field and a course field and that the id field is also auto incrementing. use phpMyAdmin and add these two columns to your table, or straight sql if you're able. YOU MUST HAVE ID AUTO_INCREMENTING!!!! make sure your tables look similar to the ones above and you should be well on your way.

Jonathan

In reply to jonathan Mc Namee

by Tony G. O'Byrne -
*blinks at the monitor*

I will KILL myself if it's that easy!!!

wink

Thanks. smile  I'll check that out and post back in a few. smile
In reply to jonathan Mc Namee

by Tony G. O'Byrne -
*kills himself*

Thanks Jonathan. smile You're a life-saver! smile You have absolutely NO idea how long this has been bugging me!

One other thing. It's not as 'mission critical', but it's bugging.

When I was installing Moodle, stuff was going well until coming to the end. I can't remember what step of the installation this happened - it was so quick to just flash up, and then present the next step. Anyway; the white page flashed up, and I noticed some red text. I reached for the pen and paper beside me, but it had already vanished.

I thought nothing of it, as I assumed that if it was that important that there'd be a delay of some sort. But when I was adding a (sample) chat, forum, quiz to the main page, I noticed stuff akin to the following:

(Adding a Forum)

Grade:
Notice: Undefined property: scale in /home/wai/web/eaccess-0.55/public/moodle/mod/forum/mod.html on line 193
(dropdown menu)

Notice: Undefined property: assesstimestart in /home/wai/web/eaccess-0.55/public/moodle/mod/forum/mod.html on line 198
>Restrict ratings to posts with dates in this range:

Notice: Undefined property: assesstimestart in /home/wai/web/eaccess-0.55/public/moodle/mod/forum/mod.html on line 207
(dropdown menu)

Notice: Undefined property: assesstimestart in /home/wai/web/eaccess-0.55/public/moodle/mod/forum/mod.html on line 208
(dropdown menu)

To:
Notice: Undefined property: assesstimefinish in /home/wai/web/eaccess-0.55/public/moodle/mod/forum/mod.html on line 211
(dropdown menu)

Notice: Undefined property: assesstimefinish in /home/wai/web/eaccess-0.55/public/moodle/mod/forum/mod.html on line 212
(dropdown menu)

I get the same in a few of the other modules, but not in some (like the Journal, Assignment, Choice)

Then, when I'm entering in the Name in my module (the module asks ONLY for the name), there's already text in the textbox:

<br />
<b>Notice</b>: Undefined property: name in <b>/home/wai/web/eaccess-0.55/public/moodle/mod/widget/mod.html</b> on line <b>10</b><br />

Anyone got any ideas?
In reply to Tony G. O'Byrne

by wildan Maulana -
Dear all....,
I have the same problem ,  how can i fix problem like that ?
when i instal moodle manually i don't ge problem like this, but when i install moodle with "apt-get"  i have proble likw what Mr. Tony get.

thanks for your response
In reply to wildan Maulana

by Gerardo Pérez Duarte Marcoux -

I have exactly the same problem.

Please, somebody help us.

In reply to Gerardo Pérez Duarte Marcoux

by John Papaioannou -
Go to your site configuration and set "debug" to "off", that should take care of these messages.