Adding 'back' and 'next' buttons on lesson pages

Adding 'back' and 'next' buttons on lesson pages

by grant carruthers -
Number of replies: 8
Is it possible to add a 'back' button to the bottom of lesson pages, which has a relative jump to take you to the previous page in a lesson? This feels like it should be easy to do, but I can't seem to find a way to do it.

The default 'continue' button is fine for moving forward, but I need and option like this which takes me back one page at a time, without having to answer a question to do it.

Any ideas?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to grant carruthers

Re: Adding 'back' and 'next' buttons on lesson pages

by Sandra King -
I haven't managed back and next buttons that work without student's answering questions, but I have found a solution that works for my students.

I got around the need (for back and next buttons) by creating a branch table and using it as a table of contents for the entire lesson. I put the lesson overview on the branch table page (which I name Table of Contents) and then link to each page within the lesson.

For me this works better than being able to click back one at a time, because some of our lessons contain as many as 20 pages of text, with additional questions interspersed (could be as many as 50 total pages) by giving students a link to the lesson table of contents they can click as far back in the lesson as they need, and then when they have read what they wanted they can gain click on the page they originally left.

I hope this helps.
Sandra King
In reply to Sandra King

by grant carruthers -
Thanks Sandra, that is a help. I'm looking at doing this now, as it seems like the most straightforward way. We have a load of pages in our course too so, as you say, it's not ideal in that case anyway to use 'back' and 'next' buttons.

It would be handy though if you could just add a 'previous' button (like the standard 'continue' button) by default, as many students find it useful to nip back a page or two in a lesson to go over stuff again. We are surprised it's been left out!

by Carl Hodkinson -

Hello all

One way to achieve your goals would be to make all the page within your lesson branch tables - there is no need to match each one with a corresponding end of branch table page. For each you make description 1 = "Back"/ Jump 1 = Previous page, and description 2 = "Next"/ Jump 2 = Next page. approve

If you want, add the left hand menu in the lesson/font> settings. Each branch table becomes an item which is good, but be aware that any question pages do not appear for some reason. I get round this by only using question pages for questions (as the name implies surprise) and information on branch table pages. Progression through the lesson is done using the buttons, whioe any reviewing can be done through the left hand menu

Hope that helps

Carl

Attachment lesson.gif
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Carl Hodkinson

by john owens -
What?
In reply to john owens

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi John,
I sort of agree, "What?"

Old thread that somehow I missed when it was posted.

Continue button only appears when no answer1 was recorded in a question page or when no description 1 is put in the branch table. In either a question page or a branch table it is possible to add a previous and next choice for the student.

Of course there is also the browser back arrow key which also works.

I think Sandra has the right idea with branch tables. I would add go to Lesson settings and change the Lesson Formatting variable "Display left menu". This will place a link for the student to every branch table in a box on the left.

Bringing in lots of pages, then having to edit each one can be a pain. ImportPPT actually creates a previous and next button automatically. I am getting ready to import a lot of small GIFT files into Lesson. I want all my answers to jump forward, but only want to give credit for the right answers. I may have to use a local host and change a php file in Lesson so the default will be that way. Otherwise, I will have to edit over 150 Lesson question pages in my course. The default is correct answers go forward, wrong answers stay on the same page. UGH!

Best Chris

by Edward Beckmann -
Hi All

I found this post whilst wanting to ask the same question

HOWEVER - on 1.9.4+ if you select the lesson as being in slideshow mode, the moodle help file says that there are options you an turn on to get next and back buttons and nobody has yet mentioned this.

The reason I have come on here is that I cannot find that setting anywhere, but whoever wrote the help prompt for that moodle page must know!

In summary - next and back are apparently built-in without using any of the workarounds mentioned so far. but where are they?

Thanks in hope of an answer

Ed
In reply to Edward Beckmann

by dane gould -
Hi Ed

i've just completed a lesson as a presentation (in fact I've changed the Lesson title to 'presentation' in the language editor). There are a couple of steps to follow:

1. Put content into your lesson page or Branch table (I use branch tables for each 'page') then SAVE. Then, open that 'page' again and check the 'Use Editor' box in Description 1 and 2. Scroll down to bottom and click on 'Redisplay page'. Then you will notice that the html tools are available in 1 and 2. In here, add < Previous in 1 (if that's what you want) and Next > in 2. You need to make sure that the 'Jump to' settings are correct for 1 and 2 i.e. they are set for previous and next in the drop down menu. Then click Save. When I get to the end of the presentation I don't give users the option of 'End lesson' - I do this by not giving them a 'next' button to click or put in a link to the next part of the course that I want them to loook at.

Cheers - Dane
In reply to dane gould

by Edward Beckmann -
Hi Dane

Thank you for the suggestion and yep, it works fine on branch tables.

I have a dilemma though - my lessons have quite a few pages and we have the side menu switched on - this is really useful because it automatically sets up navigation picked up from the titles of branch tables. The drawback is if I set up everything as a branch, this side menu gets cluttered and loses its value as a way to skip to another 'chapter' in a lesson.

So I'll use it when appropriate but still wonder why the moodle help for the slideshow setting in the lesson setup says that you can just turn on prev' and next buttons, yet unless I am misreading it nobody seems to find the mystical setting!

Cheers

Ed